- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
Helen Kasten Sheets, 94, of Cape Girardeau went home to be with the Lord Sunday, Nov. 27, 2005. She was a resident of the Lutheran Home three and a half years.
Mrs. Sheets was born Oct. 12, 1911, at Oak Ridge, daughter of T.E. and Annette Kasten. She and Raymond Lee Sheets, a longtime Cape Girardeau educator, were married June 7, 1935, at Moberly, Mo. He preceded her in death Nov. 25, 1994.
She was a member of Lynwood Baptist Church. She was a member of First Baptist Church from 1926 to 1992, where she served as a Sunday school teacher for youth and adult women. She was also active in Baptist Women and senior adult groups.
After attending Goshen School in Oak Ridge, Mrs. Sheets graduated from Central High School in 1928 and Southeast Missouri State University in 1931. She then earned a master's degree from the University of Missouri in 1965.
Mrs. Sheets was a school teacher in Gideon and St. Louis County, a substitute teacher in Cape Girardeau School District, and a third grade supervising teacher 12 years at the former Campus School in Cape Girardeau. She was a member of Alpha Delta Kappa.
Survivors include a daughter, Judy Woehrmann and husband Paul of Milwaukee, Wis.; a son, Bob Sheets and wife Nita of Cape Girardeau; a brother, Ralph Kasten and wife Carlene of Jackson; a sister, Lenore Nye of Rochelle, Ill.; a granddaughter, Rachel Roeglin and husband Phil of Hartford, Wis.; a grandson, David Sheets and wife Jessica of Atlanta, Ga.; a granddaughter, Laura Graham and husband Randy of Cape Girardeau; and three great-grandchildren, Ellie Roeglin, Sarah Roeglin and Caleb Sheets.
Besides her husband, she was preceded in death by a sister, Elizabeth Schoen, and a grandson, Jonathan Woehrmann.
Friends may call at Ford and Sons Mount Auburn Funeral Home from 5 to 8 p.m. today.
A graveside service will be held at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Cape County Memorial Park.
A celebration service will be held at 11 a.m. Wednesday at Lynwood Baptist Church, with Dr. Derek Staples officiating.
Memorials may be made to Lynwood Baptist Church Memorial Fund.