- Sikeston singer moves on with 'The Voice' (10/16/17)
- Police chief, council: Cape Girardeau faces growing gun violence (10/17/17)4
- Politics to profits: Brothers launch new investing concept on Wall Street (10/19/17)1
- Load shift kills Jackson trucker (10/17/17)1
- Developer asks court to OK tax district board for improvements near Hobby Lobby (10/17/17)4
- The last person to be laid to rest at Old Lorimier Cemetery: Mary Russell Fox (10/17/17)2
- Cape Christian School burglarized (10/18/17)
- Food Giant in Chaffee is robbed (10/17/17)
- Owner of dinosaur relics demands new board of directors, business plan at Bollinger County Museum (10/17/17)
- Cape's casino flourishing as it celebrates fifth year (10/22/17)3
Hold Speaker Jetton responsible
To the editor:
Is the Missouri House of Representatives a military state? This question came to me when I heard of the resignation of state Rep. Brad Lager as House budget chair. This year Lager made a proposal to freeze state spending, a reasonable approach in light of all of the cuts made to Medicaid last year. In an interview in the Kansas City Star, Lager referenced all the pork projects the General Assembly wanted to include in the upcoming budget. However, to include these projects would not have been fiscally responsible in tough budget times.
Apparently House Speaker Rod Jetton would rather choose fiscal irresponsibility, as he desires to build stadiums for baseball owners instead of providing health care for single moms.
Is Lager losing his chairmanship because he disagrees with the speaker? I personally know this contradicts the Republican philosophy and the American way of democracy. It's apparent to me that these actions mimic a dictatorship. Independent thinking is punishable under Jetton's rule.
I hope Jetton can put aside his personal agenda in the future and lead by principle instead of politics. It is the House of Representatives, not the House of Rod Jetton. I urge Missourians to hold Jetton accountable for his lack of leadership.
NATHAN T. GARTEN, Jefferson City, Mo.