- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Planning, design puts renovations of H-H building into hotel on hold (9/26/16)5
- Show Me Center upgrades may allow facility to draw more elaborate shows (9/21/16)17
- Woman accused of pushing Wal-Mart employee after theft (9/27/16)
Explain lack of salute to veterans
To the editor:
Shame on the Cape Girardeau School District for neglecting Veterans Day. I think it was in your pages that I saw the high school was not going to hold its program. At the very least the superintendent of schools should explain why this was placed on the back burner.
Whether or not you agree with the latest conflicts we are in, I think most agree it is important to remember those who served and gave their lives to keep this country free.
I would be interested to know why Central High School did not celebrate Veterans Day. When our children were school age, I recall the fine ceremonies they put on, with both the band and choirs performing. I hope the superintendent will take the time to explain this omission.
MICHAEL H. MAGUIRE, Cape Girardeau