- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)30
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)7
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Coroner asks for grand jury in Poplar Bluff fatal hit-and-run case (06/28/16)
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Business notebook: Melting Co. adds to Cape's food-truck fleet (06/27/16)
50 Cent wins, James Brown honored at BET Awards
LOS ANGELES -- Rapper 50 Cent captured best new artist and best male hip-hop artist honors at Tuesday's BET Awards show, while the "godfather of soul," James Brown, was presented a lifetime achievement award.
The 70-year-old Brown, a seminal figure in rock, pop and soul, is also known as "Soul Brother No. 1" and the hardest working man in show business. He is currently on a national concert tour.
BET awards recognize people of color in music, film and sports categories.They are voted on by record label executives, news media representatives and fans.
The third annual awards show was broadcast live on the East Coast and on a taped-delayed basis on the West Coast on the Black Entertainment Television network. Actress Mo'Nique was host.
Other winners included Los Angeles R&B quartet B2K for top group and Queen Latifah for best actress. Tennis star Serena Williams beat out her sister Venus for best female athlete.
R. Kelly tied with fellow crooner Jaheim for best male R&B artist and Derek Luke was named best actor. Erykah Badu and Common won for their "Love of My Life" video and Snoop Dogg's airy pairing with Pharrell on "Beautiful" won best collaboration.
Repeat winners from last year included best female hip-hop artist Missy "Misdemeanor" Elliott, best gospel artist Yolanda Adams, best female R&B artist India.Arie and best male athlete Kobe Bryant of the Los Angeles Lakers.
A former Lakers basketball star turned business entrepreneur, Earvin "Magic" Johnson, received the humanitarian award.
One person arriving for the show, who was not immediately identified, had their armored van halted by authorities outside the theater, along with several other cars, said Officer Jason Lee, a police spokesman.
While the person arriving for the show was allowed to attend, several other people were questioned. Lee said authorities were investigating whether a federal law banning convicted felons from possessing firearms had been violated.