- Cape man gets 8 years for robbery, his first offense (12/7/16)8
- Abuse suspect tries to take cop's gun; officer zaps him with Taser and punches his face (12/7/16)3
- Group seeks to create a neighborhood park on Cape Girardeau's south side (12/7/16)14
- Post-election taunts reported at Jackson schools (12/2/16)28
- Man sentenced to 103 years for murder of Cape woman (12/6/16)4
- Cape may allow residents to keep chickens; residents at meeting push for measure (12/6/16)33
- 3 students in custody for violent threat; no details released (12/9/16)11
- Poplar Bluff man accused of enticement, child porn in Scott County sting operation (12/4/16)
- Burglary suspect apprehended inside Jackson garage (12/4/16)
- Lt. Gov. Kinder weighs in on Trump's win, his future plans (12/4/16)13
Support merchants who give so much to our community
To the editor:
As the school year comes to a close I am reminded of the many times as a parent I picked up the phone or stopped by a local merchant to request some type of donation to enhance a school project such as play day, sports banquets and the senior all-night party.
With summer upon us, it is all too easy to head to St. Louis or our vacation destinations and go shopping. I feel compelled to remind the residents of Cape Girardeau that, whenever possible, we should buy our goods and services locally. As any business owner or manager knows, there is not a day or a week that goes by that they aren't asked to donate goods, services or money to some type of school-related project. I am certain that each request benefits the children and schools and is for a noteworthy cause. Our local businesses do so much to support the children and school events that occur on a regular basis.
This is what makes our community so great. I just think it is important to give our support back to our local places of business so they continue to thrive. It is only through this cooperation that Cape Girardeau, its residents, students and schools will be the best that they can be together.
Cape Girardeau Board of Education