- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)1
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Support merchants who give so much to our community
To the editor:
As the school year comes to a close I am reminded of the many times as a parent I picked up the phone or stopped by a local merchant to request some type of donation to enhance a school project such as play day, sports banquets and the senior all-night party.
With summer upon us, it is all too easy to head to St. Louis or our vacation destinations and go shopping. I feel compelled to remind the residents of Cape Girardeau that, whenever possible, we should buy our goods and services locally. As any business owner or manager knows, there is not a day or a week that goes by that they aren't asked to donate goods, services or money to some type of school-related project. I am certain that each request benefits the children and schools and is for a noteworthy cause. Our local businesses do so much to support the children and school events that occur on a regular basis.
This is what makes our community so great. I just think it is important to give our support back to our local places of business so they continue to thrive. It is only through this cooperation that Cape Girardeau, its residents, students and schools will be the best that they can be together.
Cape Girardeau Board of Education