- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Two men shot in Cape Girardeau (12/16/17)1
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Insurance building's renovation part of Coalter family's commitment to region (12/15/17)3
- Three-vehicle wreck ends up with parked car crashing through business wall (12/16/17)3
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
Support merchants who give so much to our community
To the editor:
As the school year comes to a close I am reminded of the many times as a parent I picked up the phone or stopped by a local merchant to request some type of donation to enhance a school project such as play day, sports banquets and the senior all-night party.
With summer upon us, it is all too easy to head to St. Louis or our vacation destinations and go shopping. I feel compelled to remind the residents of Cape Girardeau that, whenever possible, we should buy our goods and services locally. As any business owner or manager knows, there is not a day or a week that goes by that they aren't asked to donate goods, services or money to some type of school-related project. I am certain that each request benefits the children and schools and is for a noteworthy cause. Our local businesses do so much to support the children and school events that occur on a regular basis.
This is what makes our community so great. I just think it is important to give our support back to our local places of business so they continue to thrive. It is only through this cooperation that Cape Girardeau, its residents, students and schools will be the best that they can be together.
Cape Girardeau Board of Education