- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)39
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Ray's of Kelso, Plaza by Ray's to change ownership; Fonn to buy enterprise (04/20/16)3
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)4
- Cape council approves nearly $1M in park, sculpture projects with little public discussion (04/22/16)37
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
Viola W. Sides, 88, formerly of Jackson, passed away Wednesday, Nov. 9, 2005, at Breeze Park Care Center in St. Charles, Mo.
She was born Dec. 25, 1916, in Tilsit, daughter of Otto J. and Frieda W. Lange Birk. She and Willie C. "Bill" Sides were married Sept. 4, 1938, in Jackson.
Viola was a former member of Immanuel Lutheran Church in Tilsit. The family resided in Malden from 1946 to 1957, where Viola and Bill helped establish Grace Lutheran Church. When they moved back to Jackson, they became members of St. Paul Lutheran Church, where Viola was an active member and former president of the Ladies Aid.
She briefly worked in food service for Jackson School District. She enjoyed sewing, reading, gardening and crocheting. Her family remembers her loving concern for their health, comfort and happiness, and for her Christian concern for the welfare of others.
She is survived by Bill, her loving husband of 67 years; two sons and daughters-in-law, Dr. Stanley and Kay Sides of Cape Girardeau, Dr. Ron and Dotty Sides of Manchester, Mo.; a daughter and son-in-law, Rena and Al Oswald of St. Charles; eight grandchildren, Karen Oswald, Sandra D. Rufkhar and husband, Ben, Richard A. Oswald and wife Elizabeth, David W. Sides, Dr. Stephen D. Sides and wife Jenny, Emily R. Schiltz and husband Aaron, Maria C. Stokes and husband Curt, Russell W. Sides; and four great-grandchildren, Sean and Eric Oswald, William Sides and Benjamin Schiltz.
She was preceded in death by four brothers, Martin, Edwin, Anton and Richard Birk.
Friends may call from 4 to 8 p.m. today at McCombs Funeral Home in Jackson, and Saturday after 9:30 a.m. at St. Paul Lutheran Church in Jackson.
The funeral will be at 10:30 a.m. Saturday at the church, with the Rev. David Johnson officiating. Burial will be in Russell Heights Cemetery in Jackson.
Expressions of sympathy may take the form of contributions to St. Paul Lutheran Radio Broadcast or Alzheimer's Association.
Sympathy messages may be sent online to www.mccombsfuneralhome.com.