- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Region digest 11/10/05
Alexander Co. coroner announces run for sheriff
Alexander County, Ill., Coroner David Barkett announced Wednesday that he will seek the Democratic nomination for sheriff in the March primary. Barkett, coroner for 17 years, said in a news release that he has the support of retiring Sheriff Warren Mitchell, also a Democrat, as well as the support of four other retired sheriffs, both Democrats and Republicans. Before becoming coroner, he was chief deputy coroner for eight years and an investigator for the coroner's office for two years prior to that, Barkett said. The news release listed extensive law enforcement training as Barkett's qualifications for the job. Illinois coroners have law enforcement duties comparable to a sheriff under state law, he said, and he has stepped in to take over cases when the sheriff has had a conflict.
Jackson man sought on sodomy charge
The Scott County prosecuting attorney's office issued a warrant Tuesday for the arrest of a Jackson man suspected of sodomizing a child. Ethan A. Pack, 19, was charged for one felony count of statutory sodomy; bond was set at $50,000. He was not arrested as of Wednesday evening. According to the probable cause statement, the incidents occurred when Pack lived in Chaffee, Mo. He allegedly molested a girl under 14 years old on several occasions.
-- From wire reports