- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)29
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)2
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Soldiers blow up two Venezuelan cocaine labs
SIERRA DE PERIJA, Venezuela -- Two cocaine processing labs went up in smoke after soldiers blew them up and yanked coca plants from the ground, tossing them into burning piles in the mountains near Venezuela's border with Colombia.
The operation came as Venezuela's military steps up a campaign to seek and destroy drug crops along a remote stretch of the border with Colombia.
Troops have destroyed 520 acres of opium poppies, coca plants and marijuana located using satellite images in the past several days, officials said as soldiers burned crops Tuesday in the Sierra de Perija mountains, about 400 miles west of Caracas.
Soldiers detained some 45 Colombians around the planted areas and deported them, Capt. Virgilio Lameda told reporters. One of the detainees had been guarding the fields and hurled a grenade that wounded a Venezuelan soldier, Brig. Gen. Gitamar Barrios Hernandez said.