- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Blue Jackets defeat St. Louis in battle of NHL's worst teams
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- David Vyborny scored two goals and Marc Denis stopped 24 shots to help the Columbus Blue Jackets beat St. Louis 3-1 on Wednesday night, extending the Blues' franchise-record losing streak to nine games.
Manny Malhotra and Nikolai Zherdev each had two assists for the Blue Jackets, who came in having scored the fewest goals (28) in the NHL. Columbus, which was just one point ahead of the last-place Blues, ended a four-game losing streak.
The loss kept St. Louis winless on the road (0-4-2). Lee Stempniak scored a power-play goal in the final minute to avoid the shutout.
Two fights broke out after the game ended, with the officials taking several minutes to clear the ice and send the players back to the locker rooms.
St. Louis mustered five shots in the opening period, none during a 5-on-3 advantage that lasted more than a minute.
Denis wasn't tested most of the night and didn't give up a goal until the 25th and final shot by the Blues. Petr Cajanek's centering pass from the back boards found Stempniak in the slot and he scored his second goal with 36 seconds remaining.
BLUE JACKETS 3, BLUES 1
First Period--1, Columbus, Vyborny 5 (Malhotra, Zherdev), 17:21. Penalties--Stempniak, StL (holding), 9:17; Wright, Clm (holding stick), 11:40; Foote, Clm (elbowing), 12:31; Wideman, StL (high-sticking), 14:17.
Second Period--2, Columbus, Vyborny 6 (Zherdev, Malhotra), 2:07. Penalties--Mayers, StL, major (fighting), 2:08; Chimera, Clm, major (fighting), 2:08; Walker, StL (tripping), 8:43; Richardson, Clm (hooking), 11:35; Zherdev, Clm (hooking), 14:30; Hrdina, Clm (hooking), 17:26.
Third Period--3, Columbus, Marchant 1, 2:47. 4, St. Louis, Stempniak 2 (Cajanek, Boguniecki), 19:23 (pp). Penalties--Shelley, Clm (slashing), 6:43; Downey, StL, major (fighting), 9:33; Shelley, Clm, major (fighting), 9:33; Suchy, Clm (hooking), 14:16; Hrdina, Clm, double minor (high-sticking, unsportsmanlike conduct), 17:01; Brewer, StL, major (fighting), 20:00; Johnson, StL (cross-checking), 20:00; Klesla, Clm, major (fighting), 20:00.
Shots on goal--St. Louis 5-10-10--25. Columbus 10-7-6--23.
Power-play opportunities--St. Louis 1 of 9; Columbus 0 of 3.
Goalies--St. Louis, Lalime 2-8-3 (23 shots-20 saves). Columbus, Denis 3-8-0 (25-24).
A--16,058 (18,136). T--2:11.
Referees--Marc Joannette, Justin St. Pierre. Linesmen--Michel Cormier, Jay Sharrers.