Scott County voters will decide new water district

Tuesday, November 8, 2005

BENTON, Mo. -- Polls open at 6 a.m. today for residents in parts of Scott County which form a new county rural water district. Voters will have until 7 p.m. to cast their ballots on whether to issue $25 million in revenue bonds to fund construction of a waterworks system to rural residences. The water district's formation was approved by voters during the April 5 election. If approved, the bonds will be repaid by those who sign up to be part of the water district. Polling precincts are: Miner precinct, city hall; McMullin, Eftink Construction; Salcedo, H&H Seamless Guttering; Blodgett, fire station; Benton, county courthouse; New Hamburg, St. Lawrence parish hall; Kelso, city hall; Scott City, Broadway United Methodist Church; Commerce, St. Paul United Methodist Church; Chaffee, VFW Post 3127; Morley, city hall; Vanduser, city hall; Oran, Jaycees building; and Diehlstadt, First Southern Baptist Church.

New Madrid County residents will go to the polls today to decide whether to impose a 1/2 cent general sales tax. Of the money generated, the County Commission has allotted 25 percent to be shared among the incorporated cities within the county while the remaining 75 percent would be used to fund county services.

The only other issue on today's ballot will be decided by residents of Lilbourn. The voters are being asked whether the office chief of police should be an appointed position or continue to be elected by voters.

Mississippi County does not have any ballot issues going before voters today.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: