- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)6
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- State Supreme Court rules against congressman's mother in dog-kennel defamation case (4/27/17)1
- Strattman to step down as principal at St. Mary (4/28/17)1
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
Beginning a 6:30 p.m. today in the commons are at Central High School, bidders will have an opportunity to help members of the Student Senate raise money for the state convention of the Missouri Association of Student Councils, which will be in Cape Girardeau next March.
As the host school, Central is responsible for finding housing in private homes for 1,200 guests and for planning activities during the convention. To help defray expenses, the Student Senate hopes to raise $10,000 from live and silent auctions tonight.
This is a good way to show support for the high school and for its student leaders, who are learning some fundamental lessons about planning a major event and raising the money it takes to provide a high-quality program. This will be the fourth time Central has been the host for the state convention in the last 25 years.
In a way, all of the fund raising and planning -- as well as what is expected to be another successful convention -- are a tribute to Kathy Wright, lead adviser of the Student Senate. She is retiring at the end of this school year.
The preparations for next year's convention are an excellent exercise for our future leaders. Let's show them that they have the community's encouragement and support by making tonight's auction a rousing success.