- Fatal-shooting victim ID'd; uncle said he tried to break up fight (9/29/16)30
- Driver charged with manslaughter in crash that killed 2 (9/27/16)
- Sister: Shooting victim died a hero (9/30/16)8
- Perryville couple arrested on felony drug charges after sting operation (9/29/16)
- Perryville High principal on leave; no reason given (9/28/16)9
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)9
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Animal-rescue group receives grant from rock star for spay, neuter assistance (9/28/16)1
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
- Monia pleads guilty to 9 counts of financial exploitation of elderly; dealings with murderer Joseph clarified (9/28/16)11
Beginning a 6:30 p.m. today in the commons are at Central High School, bidders will have an opportunity to help members of the Student Senate raise money for the state convention of the Missouri Association of Student Councils, which will be in Cape Girardeau next March.
As the host school, Central is responsible for finding housing in private homes for 1,200 guests and for planning activities during the convention. To help defray expenses, the Student Senate hopes to raise $10,000 from live and silent auctions tonight.
This is a good way to show support for the high school and for its student leaders, who are learning some fundamental lessons about planning a major event and raising the money it takes to provide a high-quality program. This will be the fourth time Central has been the host for the state convention in the last 25 years.
In a way, all of the fund raising and planning -- as well as what is expected to be another successful convention -- are a tribute to Kathy Wright, lead adviser of the Student Senate. She is retiring at the end of this school year.
The preparations for next year's convention are an excellent exercise for our future leaders. Let's show them that they have the community's encouragement and support by making tonight's auction a rousing success.