- Mall aboard: Future requires evolution at West Park Mall (3/24/17)19
- Legal discrimination complaint, ethics complaint filed in Scott City government (3/22/17)13
- Business notebook: Cape native goes from farm to mobile-food operation (3/20/17)1
- Former Scott City administrator: 'I was forced to resign' (3/21/17)6
- Former Southeast softball coach sues Board of Regents; seeks damages and her job back (3/23/17)14
- Triplett manslaughter case set for July 2018 (3/21/17)2
- Two people found dead in Advance house fire (3/21/17)
- Two local lawmakers back charter school bill; Perryville lawmaker objects to measure (3/19/17)24
- Two Cape men charged with second-degree murder of Grandi (3/21/17)2
- Lawmakers put prevailing wage in crosshairs; laborers object (2/12/17)10
Beginning a 6:30 p.m. today in the commons are at Central High School, bidders will have an opportunity to help members of the Student Senate raise money for the state convention of the Missouri Association of Student Councils, which will be in Cape Girardeau next March.
As the host school, Central is responsible for finding housing in private homes for 1,200 guests and for planning activities during the convention. To help defray expenses, the Student Senate hopes to raise $10,000 from live and silent auctions tonight.
This is a good way to show support for the high school and for its student leaders, who are learning some fundamental lessons about planning a major event and raising the money it takes to provide a high-quality program. This will be the fourth time Central has been the host for the state convention in the last 25 years.
In a way, all of the fund raising and planning -- as well as what is expected to be another successful convention -- are a tribute to Kathy Wright, lead adviser of the Student Senate. She is retiring at the end of this school year.
The preparations for next year's convention are an excellent exercise for our future leaders. Let's show them that they have the community's encouragement and support by making tonight's auction a rousing success.