High school volleyball district previews
Monday, October 24, 2005
Class 1 District 2 at Bell City
* Teams: No. 1 Bell City, No. 2 Advance, No. 3 Bernie, No. 4 Oran, No. 5 Risco, No. 6 Richland
* Schedule: Monday, Oran vs. Risco, 5 p.m.; Bernie vs. Richland, 6 p.m.; Bell City vs. Oran/Risco winner, 7 p.m.; Advance vs. Bernie/Richland winner, 8 p.m.; Tuesday, championship, 7 p.m.
* Notes: Bell City has won the district title two years in a row. The Cubs won the Class 1 state title in 2003.
Class 1 District 3 at Meadow Heights
* Teams: No. 1 Leopold, No. 2 Meadow Heights, No. 3 Zalma, No. 4 Oak Ridge, No. 5 Saxony Lutheran, No. 6 Chaffee, No. 7 Marquand
* Schedule: Monday, Meadow Heights vs. Marquand, 5:30 p.m.; Zalma vs. Chaffee, 6:45 p.m.; Oak Ridge vs. Saxony Lutheran, 8 p.m.; Tuesday, Leopold vs. Oak Ridge/Saxony Lutheran winner, 5:30 p.m.; Meadow Heights/Marquand winner vs. Zalma/Chaffee winner, 6:45 p.m.; championship, 8:20 p.m.
* Notes: Leopold has won three straight district titles. The Wildcats have defeated Zalma five times this season, most recently in three sets to claim the Mississippi Valley Conference tournament. Zalma is above .500 against the rest of its schedule. Of its four losses, Leopold's lone defeat against a Class 1 team was to Bell City. Saxony has four wins in its first season of varsity volleyball.
Class 2 District 2 at Bloomfield
* Teams: No. 1 Scott City, No. 2 Bloomfield, No. 3 Puxico, No. 4 Twin Rivers, No. 5 Malden, No. 6 Charleston
* Schedule: Monday, Twin Rivers vs. Malden, 5 p.m.; Puxico vs. Charleston, 6:15 p.m.; Scott City vs. Twin Rivers/Malden winner, 7:30 p.m.; Bloomfield vs. Puxico/Charleston winner, 8:45 p.m.; Tuesday, championship, 6:30 p.m.
* Notes: Scott City is the defending district champion. First-year Scott City coach Carl Ritter Jr. won a state title as the coach of Zalma in 1990.
Class 2 District 3 at West County
* Teams: No. 1 Bismarck, No. 2 Arcadia Valley, No. 3 St. Vincent, No. 4 Woodland, No. 5 West County, No. 6 Clearwater, No. 7 Greenville
* Schedule: Monday, Woodland vs. West County, 5 p.m.; Arcadia Valley vs. Greenville, 6:30 p.m.; St. Vincent vs. Clearwater, 8 p.m.; Tuesday, Bismarck vs. Woodland/West County winner, 5 p.m.; Arcadia Valley/Greenville winner vs. St. Vincent/Clearwater winner, 6:30 p.m.; championship, 8 p.m.
* Notes: Bismarck is the defending district champion and has won district titles five straight years. Arcadia Valley, the No. 2 seed, has never won a volleyball district title, while St. Vincent has not won a district title since making the state final four in 1987.
Class 3 District 1 at Dexter
* Teams: No. 1 Kennett, No. 2 Dexter, No. 3 Notre Dame, No. 4 Perryville, No. 5 New Madrid County Central, No. 6 Doniphan
* Schedule: Monday, Perryville vs. NMCC, 6 p.m.; Notre Dame vs. Doniphan 7 p.m.; Tuesday, Kennett vs. Perryville/NMCC winner, 5 p.m.; Dexter vs. Notre Dame/Doniphan winner, 6 p.m.; championship, 7:30 p.m.
* Notes: Notre Dame has won five straight district titles. Dexter won 10 straight district titles from 1991 to 2000, but has not won one since. Kennett, the top seed, is looking for its first volleyball district title.
Class 4 District 1 at Hillsboro
* Teams: No. 1 Farmington, No. 2 Hillsboro, No. 3 Jackson, No. 4 Poplar Bluff, No. 5 Central, No. 6 Sikeston, No. 7 North County
* Schedule: Monday, Poplar Bluff vs. Central, 5 p.m.; Hillsboro vs. North County, 6:30 p.m.; Jackson vs. Sikeston, 8 p.m.; Tuesday, Farmington vs. Poplar Bluff/Central winner, 5 p.m.; Hillsboro/North County winner vs. Jackson/Sikeston winner, 6:30 p.m.; championship, 8:30 p.m.
* Notes: Farmington has won the past two district titles. The Knightettes won the B.A. Sports Volleyball Classic this season, a tournament which features nearly all of the teams from Southeast Missouri.
-- Jeremy Joffray