- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)10
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- City may spend extra park tax money on Cape Splash, skate park, other projects (7/25/16)10
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
Burning leaves should be banned
To the editor:
After reading the front page story on burning in Cape Girardeau I was so outraged over our mayor's remarks I must comment. His statement about the "proud burners" is unbelievable. Proud burners indeed! What are they proud of, the fact that they make us sick with their burning of trash, garbage, etc? Plus the fact that we have to worry about them causing our homes and vehicles to burn to the ground? Why doesn't he listen to our city manager and ban all burning?
I'll bet the fire department would be happy not to have to go out on all those illegal burn calls, plus the legal ones that get out of control. With all the pick-up services we have there is no reason to burn anything. This is an outdated custom that should have been stopped years ago. Don't we deserve to breathe fresh air like the other cities do? This should be placed on the ballot in our next election.
D.J. DAWSON, Cape Girardeau