- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Coaches select OU's Gray preseason player of the year
DALLAS -- Oklahoma forward Taj Gray was named the Big 12 preseason player of the year Monday in voting by the conference's coaches.
Gray, a 6-foot-9 senior, averaged 14.6 points and 8.2 rebounds last season to lead the Sooners to a share of the Big 12 regular-season title with Kansas. The junior college transfer was the league's newcomer of the year last season.
Gray's 271 rebounds and 117 offensive rebounds last season are the most among returning Big 12 players.
Coaches also selected Iowa State guard Curtis Stinson, Oklahoma State guard JamesOn Curry, Texas guard Daniel Gibson and Texas forward P.J. Tucker to their all-Big 12 team.
Stinson, a 6-foot-3 senior, averaged 17.2 points to lead the Cyclones and finished second in the Big 12 last season with 2.32 steals per game.
As a freshman, Curry averaged 9.4 points and started 15 games for Oklahoma State. During the Big 12 and NCAA tournaments, he averaged 13.2 points.
Gibson, a 6-foot-5 guard who was the Big 12 freshman of the year last season, averaged 14.2 points last season. Tucker, a 6-foot-5 junior, averaged 13.7 points in 17 games last season before being ruled academically ineligible for the second semester.