Police: Women brawl over microwaving soup

Sunday, October 16, 2005

TAMARAC, Fla. -- A Walgreens employee allegedly stabbed a co-worker in an argument over who could microwave her soup first, authorities said. Both women wanted to use the microwave in the employee break room on Oct. 12, according to the Broward County Sheriff's Office. While they were fighting over who could use the microwave first, Mellesia Grant grabbed a large kitchen knife off the counter and stabbed Merloze Tilme in the abdomen, the sheriff's office said. Tilme, 20, was hospitalized early Friday in good condition, officials said. Grant, 23, of North Lauderdale was charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon, officials said. She was being held on $50,000 bond.

Man accused of punching out airplane window

TAMPA, Fla. -- A passenger punched out the interior pane of an airplane window on an American West flight from Las Vegas to Tampa, Fla., authorities said. Ryan J. Marchione, 24, shattered the inner plastic shield covering the glass window and disconnected its frame, according to an FBI affidavit. The outer window was not damaged and the plane did not depressurize, the airline said. Marchione was arrested when the plane landed on a charge of damaging or destroying an aircraft while it was operating. About 90 minutes after the plane departed, Marchione "woke abruptly from his sleep and turned to the passenger seated in 7B ... raised a clenched fist to his shoulder as if he was going to strike the passenger in 7B, then suddenly turned and struck the exterior window," the affidavit said.

Woman with $1.16 tax bill faces $4,000 fine

LOVELAND, Ohio -- A woman who hasn't paid a $1.16 income tax bill to this Cincinnati suburb faces up to 18 months in jail and $4,000 in fines. City officials say Deborah Combs hasn't filed city income tax returns for five years. Combs says she has been mostly unemployed since 2000. The city notified her in February about the violation.

-- From wire reports

Woman hit by falling bottle recovering

WEST OLIVE, Mich.-- A Michigan woman is recovering after being hit in the head by a bottle that fell 13 stories from a building as she was walking in downtown Chicago. Kabel Kruithoff, 18, suffered a skull fracture and was listed in fair condition Friday at Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago. Chicago police said the bottle and a can fell Wednesday from a window in the 17-story dormitory building at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, where Kruithoff is a student. The can missed her, they said. "It doesn't appear there was any criminal intent, that it was an accident," police spokeswoman JoAnn Taylor told The Grand Rapids Press. The bottle left a golf ball-sized dent in Kruithoff's skull but did not cause any brain damage, said Bruce Kruithoff, an uncle. Doctors operated Wednesday to relieve pressure on her brain and cover the depression in her skull with a metal plate.

Cops: Man requests sex act for foster son

WEST SACRAMENTO, Calif. (-- A West Sacramento man is facing charges that he solicited an undercover police officer to perform a sex act on his teenage foster son. The man was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of soliciting a prostitute and contributing to the delinquency of a minor, West Sacramento police Lt. Dave Farmer said. The 16-year-old boy and five other foster children were immediately removed from the man's house, Farmer said. The man's name was not released to protect the identity of the foster children, who range in age from 4 to 16. Police said the man, with the boy in the car, approached a female undercover officer and request a sex act for the 16-year-old. The man was one of 10 men arrested during an eight-hour prostitution sting. He was booked into Yolo County jail but has since been released.

Driver allegedly makes ill child leave bus SALEM, Ore. (AP) - A school bus driver no longer has his job after he allegedly told a sick child to get off his bus. The diabetic child was left several blocks from his house the morning of Oct. 7, according to his mother, Leigh Nowning.

The 12-year-old used his cell phone to call her. She picked him up and later took him to a hospital emergency room.

"If my son had not had that cell phone, he'd be dead," Nowning said.

The Salem-Keizer School District would not release the driver's name, citing privacy issues.

District officials declined to comment, and refused to say whether the driver quit or was fired. But school district officials confirmed the man no longer worked for the district as of Wednesday.

Nowning said she viewed a school district surveillance video from the bus Thursday. On the tape, she said she saw the bus stop as children told the driver her son was throwing up. Her son walked up the aisle to tell the driver he was ill.

"The guy just said 'Get off the bus, then,'" Nowning said.

She picked up her son about six blocks away from their home. She said he is a Type 1 diabetic, and a home test showed his blood-sugar levels were high. They went to the emergency room for treatment.

"He was passing out when he stood up," she said. "His metabolic system was in shock, and it doesn't take much longer for a person to go into a coma, followed by death." Nowning said it was clear from the video that the driver did nothing for her son. She said she will consider a lawsuit and ask for a criminal investigation.

School district officials said they were investigating.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: