- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)31
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Scott City spikers open 4-0 in SEMO Conference tourney
Scott City went 4-0 to begin pool play in the SEMO Conference volleyball tournament Thursday.
Central and Oran both started off 2-2, and Chaffee lost all four sets on the first day.
The host Rams posted a 25-16, 25-21 victory against Central and a 25-14, 25-17 victory over New Madrid County Central.
Central (7-14-1) defeated Oran 25-8, 25-22, as Wendi Zickfield had 13 service points, including three aces.
Oran topped Chaffee 25-10, 25-22. Chaffee also lost to Sikeston 25-11, 25-8.
Pool play will resume Saturday morning, and the championship is 3 p.m. that day.
JV -- Central went 4-0 on the first day with wins against Scott City (25-22, 25-16) and Oran (25-11, 25-17). Chaffee went 0-4, and Scott City and Oran both broke even at 2-2. The championship is 2 p.m. Saturday.
No. 3 seed Zalma won two matches Thursday, upending No. 2 Meadow Heights in the semifinal round to earn a spot in tonight's championship game.
Zalma earlier had beaten host Saxony Lutheran 25-19, 25-14.
In the other half of the bracket, top-seeded Leopold beat Oak Ridge, which had eliminated Marquand.
Leopold plays Zalma at 7:30 in tonight's final. Oak Ridge and Meadow Heights play at 5:30 p.m. for third place.
JV -- Saxony defeated Oak Ridge 25-22, 24-26, 25-18 for its first win. Leopold defeated Saxony 25-7, 25-12. Meadow Heights defeated Zalma. Today: Saxony vs. Zalma for third place, 4:30 p.m.; Meadow Heights vs. Leopold for championship, 6:30 p.m.
Stoddard Co. Tournament
Top-seeded Bell City knocked off No. 5 Bernie 25-12, 21-25, 25-10 in the semifinal round at Bernie.
Jenny Lathum had 14 digs for the Cubs, Megan Slagley had 13 digs, and Rachel Spears and Jessica Abner had 12 digs apiece.
Bell City will play No. 2 Dexter at 7 tonight in the championship.
Dexter defeated Advance 25-14, 25-23 in the other semifinal.
JV -- Bell City lost in the semifinal and will play today at 4 p.m. for third place.
Jackson swept host Perryville.
Amanda Peiffer had nine kills for Jackson (20-10) and Lucy Hartmann had eight kills.
Jocelyn Moll had five kills for the Pirates (12-14-4), and Lindsey Lappe and Elizabeth Martin both had six assists.
JV -- Jackson won 25-14, 25-11
New Salem won in straight sets over host Eagle Ridge.
Sarah Green led New Salem (11-2) with eight kills. Mary Beth Poole had six kills and Laura Poole had 15 assists.
For Eagle Ridge, Kristen Margrabe had three kills and Chelsey Clark added four assists.
-- From staff reports
* Central's junior high "A" girls basketball program split two games with Woodland. Central won the "A" game 34-29 behind Sadie Pittman's 12 points, and Woodland claimed the "B" game 30-17. Taylre Scott had 10 points for Central in the second game.
-- From staff reports