- Waller deemed competent to stand trial (1/11/17)5
- Young Elvis impersonator from Bernie performs on 'Ellen DeGeneres Show' (1/12/17)
- Two subjects of interest in 1992 homicide to take polygraph tests (1/15/17)7
- 113 drug tests at Jackson High net one instance of illicit usage (1/11/17)15
- Two men shot after argument; houses also struck by bullets (1/12/17)21
- Business notebook: Jackson salon owner also opens a clothing store (1/16/17)
- Cape SportsPlex contractor offers a look at the project (1/15/17)14
- Two Cape men recovering after shooting (1/13/17)
- Imo's Pizza will be added to Rhodes 101 convenience store in Jackson (1/10/17)16
- Wallingford proposes bill to collect sales taxes on online purchases (1/11/17)30
Two highly deserving recipients received special awards at last week's Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce annual appreciation dinner.
The annual Commitment to Excellence Award, first given by the chamber in 1988 to honor local businesses that play a significant role in the Cape Girardeau area, went to Rose Concrete Products, which manufactures a variety of concrete products. The company has grown from one plant in 1984 to a group of companies in five states.
The award was accepted by company owner Larry Payne, who noted in his remarks that he chose years ago to move to Cape Girardeau because it was the best place to raise a family.
The other major award presented at the dinner was a surprise announcement by keynote speaker Dan Mehan, executive director of the Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry: The Cape Girardeau chamber has been named the 2005 Chamber of Commerce of the Year.
This award is statewide recognition of the local chamber's aggressive programs and its strong support from the business and industrial community. The Cape Girardeau chamber has one of the largest memberships in all of Missouri, including the metropolitan areas of St. Louis and Kansas City.
Cape Girardeau continues to thrive because of community-minded businesses like Rose Concrete and organizations like the chamber. Both of this year's recipients can be proud of their contributions in making this area a great place to live and work.