- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- MSHP: McLendon shot in side; autopsy refutes witness account (2/19/17)21
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
Two highly deserving recipients received special awards at last week's Cape Girardeau Chamber of Commerce annual appreciation dinner.
The annual Commitment to Excellence Award, first given by the chamber in 1988 to honor local businesses that play a significant role in the Cape Girardeau area, went to Rose Concrete Products, which manufactures a variety of concrete products. The company has grown from one plant in 1984 to a group of companies in five states.
The award was accepted by company owner Larry Payne, who noted in his remarks that he chose years ago to move to Cape Girardeau because it was the best place to raise a family.
The other major award presented at the dinner was a surprise announcement by keynote speaker Dan Mehan, executive director of the Missouri Chamber of Commerce and Industry: The Cape Girardeau chamber has been named the 2005 Chamber of Commerce of the Year.
This award is statewide recognition of the local chamber's aggressive programs and its strong support from the business and industrial community. The Cape Girardeau chamber has one of the largest memberships in all of Missouri, including the metropolitan areas of St. Louis and Kansas City.
Cape Girardeau continues to thrive because of community-minded businesses like Rose Concrete and organizations like the chamber. Both of this year's recipients can be proud of their contributions in making this area a great place to live and work.