- Man transitioning to woman killed herself in Cape City Jail in June; news comes from architect's pitch in Kansas (2/15/18)2
- Cape Girardeau businessman proposes redevelopment project; seeks taxing district to fund improvements (2/17/18)16
- Charges filed in Sunday murder; suspects in custody (2/14/18)2
- TJ's Burgers, Wings & Pizza expands with dining area in Fruitland (2/16/18)
- University Foundation to honor Talberts as Friends of the University (2/13/18)2
- Pence gets it right in response to attack on Christian faith (2/17/18)4
- Lovebirds for 80 years give advice: Trust, patience and 'Tell 'em you love 'em' (2/14/18)2
- Jackson schools to install artificial turf on football, soccer fields (2/14/18)
- Major case squad activated to investigate shooting death in Cape (2/13/18)
- Jackson schools purchased former orchard land, will lease for farming for now (2/15/18)
Search for abandoned girl's mother turns up dead body in Pa. landfill
NEW YORK -- Police found a dead body in a Pennsylvania landfill Thursday and think it may be the mother of a 4-year-old girl found abandoned two weeks ago.
Valery Belen Saavedra Lozada was found wandering barefoot after dark in Queens on Sept. 24, and police had been searching for the mother, Monica Lozada-Rivadineira, ever since.
The search may have ended Thursday in Vintondale, Pa., where police found a body wrapped in black plastic bags. Police had been searching that landfill and another in Pennsylvania where New York's garbage is hauled.
Her companion, Cesar Ascarrunz, is being held without bail on charges of strangling her, dumping her body in a pile of trash and abandoning her daughter.