- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
ULLIN, Ill. -- Harold E. Upshaw, 85, of Ullin and formerly of Cairo, Ill., died Tuesday, June 17, 2003, at the Good Samaritan Care Center in Metropolis, Ill.
He was born May 21, 1918, at Griffin, Ind., son of Charles Upshaw and Martha Calvin Upshaw. He and Velma Lucas were married Aug. 7, 1940, at Charleston, Mo.
He was a member of Cairo Baptist Church, where he served as a Sunday school teacher. He also served in the National Guard and was a member of Ducks Unlimited. He served as a guide for the Miller-Grace and Grace hunting clubs. He had owned the Nationwide Rental Service in Cairo, Upshaw Service Station and car wash and the Goodyear Tire Store.
Survivors include his wife; two daughters, Damggtra DeVore of Hide-a-Way, Miss., and Jill Upshaw of Franklin, Tenn.; a son, Harold "Buddy" Upshaw Jr. of Granite City, Ill.; a brother, Howard Upshaw of Cairo; two sisters, Mary Porter Jones of Cairo and Helena Holmes of Murphysboro, Ill.; seven grandchildren; and 10 great-grandchildren.
Friends may call from 5 to 8 p.m. today and after 8 a.m. Thursday at Cairo Baptist Church.
Funeral will be at 1 p.m. Thursday at the church, with Dr. Larry L. Potts officiating. Burial will be in Green Lawn Memorial Gardens in Villa Ridge.
Jones Funeral Home in Villa Ridge is in charge of arrangements.