Out of the past 9/24/05
Saturday, September 24, 2005
25 years ago: Sept. 24, 1980
NEW MADRID, Mo. -- Puxico, Mo., farmer Wayne Cryts is standing guard to keep his $250,000 worth of soybeans stored inside a bankrupt elevator from being sold to pay creditors; Cryts, who has warehouse receipts showing he's stored about 33,000 bushels of soybeans at the elevator, can't touch his beans because of bankruptcy suits filed in Little Rock, Ark., by elevator owners Donald, George and Robert James.
Vandals break into the May Greene School and cause more than $3,500 in damage; the vandals enter the building through an unlocked window and cause extensive damage to two of the rooms.
50 years ago: Sept. 24, 1955
Construction of its second plant in Cape Girardeau will be started by Marquette Cement Mfg. Co. by the end of this year, and it will be in operation before the end of 1956, Jack White, director of public relations for Marquette, told members of the Kiwanis Club last night.
On the basis of 1955 assessment valuation and the average daily attendance last school year, Cape Girardeau public schools would stand to gain an approximate $80,000 in state aid under the foundation bill to be voted on at a special statewide Oct. 4 election.
75 years ago: Sept. 24, 1930
Fourteen people, including two women, are arrested in Cape Girardeau in a series of liquor raids conducted by federal Prohibition agents under James A. Dillon of St. Louis and local police.
Joseph L. Moore of Benton, Mo., a lawyer and native of Scott County, is appointed by Judge Charles B. Faris as referee in bankruptcy for the southeastern division of the federal court, succeeding the late Harry E. Alexander; there were 23 applicants for the job, but it is said that the appointment went to Moore without solicitation.
100 years ago: Sept. 24, 1905
The Rev. J.T. Duvall, pastor of the Baptist Church, was presented with a historical gift this week that he cherishes; Mrs. A.J. Bain of Whitewater sent him a cane that was made from a log taken from the old Bethel Baptist Church, the first Protestant church built west of the Mississippi River; the church was built in 1806 and stood until a few years ago.
The cornerstone for the new Salem Church in the Umbeck neighborhood is laid with imposing ceremonies; the Rev. Johannes Jaeck officiates and is assisted by ministers from Jackson, Oak Ridge and other places.
-- Sharon K. Sanders