- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Area sports digest 9/14/05
Braves, Yankees start 2-0 in fall baseball league
The Braves and Yankees both swept doubleheaders Saturday to kick off the SEMO Fall Baseball League season at Jackson's American Legion Field.
Caleb Daughhettee and Alex Chasteen picked up wins for the Braves. Dylan Jenkins had two hits in the Braves' opening 6-5 win over the Cardinals, and Bryce Faulkner and Chris Simmons had two hits apiece in the 7-4 win in the second game.
Sam Sander drove in the winning run for the Yankees in a 5-4 win in the opener of their doubleheader. Sander and Chad Cook had two hits apiece for the Yankees.
In the second game, the Yankees won 7-5 behind a complete-game victory from Sander, who struck out 11.
Young wins championship at Cape Country Club
Robyn Young won the Cape Girardeau Country Club Ladies Club Champion Tournament, which was played Saturday and Sunday.
The tournament featured five flights with three finishers honored in each flight.
Following Young in the championship flight were Kathy Morris, Mary Jane Eftink and Leslie Steele.
Young and Steele had combined earlier this year to win the Lassies Classic two-woman event at the club.
In the A flight, Luanne Kiefner was first with Joyce Kuntze second and Marcia Wagner third.
In the B flight, Deb Mealy was first with Keiko Fujiwara second and Mary Ellen Bean in third.
Mary Sue Layton was first in the C flight. Janet White finished second and Priscilla Kirby was third.
Shirley Moore topped the D flight with Betty Michel in second and Judy Holcomb third.
Kirby, Eftink top Ladies Day at club
Priscilla Kirby won the play of the day, low net, and Mary Jane Eftink earned medalist honors Thursday in Ladies Day play at the Cape Girardeau Country Club.
Eftink finished second in the play of the day honors. Catharine Weed and Mary Ellen Bean tied for third place.
Coad fires hole in one at Dalhousie Golf Club
Tim Coad of Cape Giradeau carded his first career hole in one on Saturday at Dalhousie Golf Club.
Coad used a 6-iron to ace No. 5, a par-3 playing 182 yards. Witnesses were Jack Connell, Andy Deiro and Rick Miller.
Middleton tops ladder in CATA men's tennis
Tyson Middleton won the season-ending championship tournament for the Cape Area Tennis Association's Summer Men's Singles Tennis Ladder on Labor Day weekend.
Middleton was atop the 23-player ladder when the regular season concluded. He then won a four-person playoff by beating Darren Naeder 6-2, 6-4 in the championship at the Central High School tennis courts.
Other semifinalists were Bill Bradley and Kevin Rohatgi.
Cook, McMillan win horseshoe stop
Lachelle Cook and Dennis McMIllan came in first Sunday at the Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association tournament at the Knights of Columbus Hall in Oran.
Rose Kern and Randy Grady finished second with Terrie Rose and Larry Glastetter in third place.
-- From staff reports