Letter to the Editor

Report abuse to proper authorities

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

To the editor:

A recent Speak Out caller said he had contacted local animal shelters with complaints about animal abuse and animals at large but there appeared to be no response and the situation persisted.

At the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri, we share this reader's concern for animal welfare. The humane society, however, is a not-for-profit organization. It has no powers to enforce the law. Reports of animal abuse and neglect and animals at large should be directed to local government agencies with authority to investigate abuse and neglect and to enforce animal control.

Here is contact information: Cape Girardeau Police Department, 335-6621. Jackson Police Department, 243-3151. Cape Girardeau County Sheriff's Department, 243-3551. Cape Girardeau County Public Health Center, 335-7846. Cape Girardeau County prosecuting attorney, 243-2430.

It has been our experience that our local agencies take animal-related complaints seriously. By reporting cases of abuse and neglect to the proper authorities, the situation can be remedied.

DAVID J. ROTH, President, Humane Society of Southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau