- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Central tennis turns back Jackson
The Central girls tennis team remained perfect in dual meet competition with a 7-2 win at Jackson on Tuesday.
Dani Gross, Sarah Ford, Monica Toole, Lindsey Pingel and Kristen Ford each won singles matches for the Tigers (8-0).
For the Indians, Sarah Detring won in singles, and the doubles team of Alynda Lane and Sarah Hinkebein also won.
Central will host Dexter on Thursday, while Jackson will travel to Farmington.
1. Dani Gross (C) def. Jessica Drum 8-1; 2. Sarah Ford (C) def. Shannon Cobb 8-2; 3. Monica Toole (C) def. Alynda Lane 8-1; 4. Lindsey Pingel (C) def. Sarah Hinkebein 8-2; 5. Sarah Detring (J) def. Paige Foley 8-4; 6. Kristen Ford (C) def. Ellyn Beil 8-3
1. Gross-Toole (C) def. Drum-Detring 8-1; 2. S. Ford-Pingel (C) def. Cobb-Beil 8-1; 3. Lane-Hinkebein (J) def. Foley-K. Ford 8-5
JV -- Central won 11-6. Central JV winners -- Singles: Claire Segar, Jill Blattner, Carsen Bahn, Brooke Morris, Sami Gross, Kristiana Lazarova; Doubles: Segar-Blattner, Lauren Tobin-Bahn, Karrie Moll- Elizabeth Knight, Gross- Paige Kinder, Lazarova-Kinder. Jackson JV winners -- Singles: Maddie Rupke, Kami Miinch, Andrea Penzel, Rachel Batz, Alison Keiper; Doubles: Penzel-Emily Hoffman.
SOFTBALL Jackson 4, Poplar Bluff 0
Amanda Pitts hit a three-run triple in the fifth inning and Darla Mangles scattered nine hits to lead the Indians in a home victory.
Pitts' triple came after the Indians (6-9) escaped the top of the fifth without allowing a run after the Mules loaded the bases.
Pitts struck out one and walked two for the complete-game victory.
Cheryl Lichtenegger had two hits for Jackson.
"We just got the big hits when we needed it," Jackson coach Julie Rushing said.
WP -- Darla Mangles, 5-6. LP -- Kristen Ploetze. 3B -- Amanda Pitts (J). Multiple hits -- Poplar Bluff, Rainbolt 2-3; Martin 2-4; Jackson, Cheryl Lichtenegger 2-2. Records -- Jackson 6-9.
|VOLLEYBALL Jackson||25||25 Central||16||15|
Amanda Peiffer recorded a double-double with 10 blocks and 10 kills in a road win.
Natalie Koeper added 19 blocks for Jackson (10-4), Roxy Hudak had eight digs, Jodie Gipson had seven blocks and Dede Whitlow had four aces.
JV -- Jackson won 25-13, 25-21. Freshmen -- Central won 25-12, 25-14.
|Scott City||16||25||25 Dexter||25||22||23|
Scott City pulled out a three-game win on the road.
Kacie Ritter had nine kills and 14 assists to lead the Rams (4-3-1). Whitney Papley added nine kills and Lindsey Amick had 14 assists.
JV -- Dexter won, 25-20, 23-25, 25-11.
|Bell City||25||23||25 Poplar Bluff||23||25||18|
Bell City pulled out a three-game win at Class 4 Poplar Bluff.
Jenny Lathum had six kills and 14 digs for the Cubs (11-3-1), while Megan Slagley had six kills and 13 digs, and Rachel Spears had six kills and 12 digs.
JV -- Bell City lost.
Chaffee fell to 1-4 with a home loss.
JV -- Oran won 25-8, 25-17.
Perryville survived a tight match at home.
Jocelyn Moll led the Pirates (7-3-3) with six kills.
Sarah Roth added four kills, Meghan Roth had five digs, Jenn Ponder had three aces, Lindsey Lappe had 11 assists and Elizabeth Martin had nine assists.
JV -- Perryville won 25-12, 25-22.
Angela Broshuis had 10 kills, 15 assists, three digs and two blocks in a home win.
Stephania Jordan added 10 kills, five digs and two aces for the Hornets (4-3-2).
Autumn VanGennip had seven digs.
|Notre Dame||25||23||25 Ste. Genevieve||22||25||11|
The Bulldogs won in three games at home.
Claire Goodson had 12 kills, and Meridith Medlin had 14 assists and five kills for the Bulldogs (7-4-3).
Kaitlyn Scheeter served three aces.
JV -- Notre Dame won, 25-18, 25-14; Freshmen -- Ste. Genevieve won, 25-12, 26-24.
Saxony Lutheran pushed a match into the third game for the first time this season but ran its record to 0-7 with a home loss to Christ Our Savior Lutheran of Illinois.
Stacey Manche had four aces, six kills and 10 digs for Saxony, while Tiffany Haertling added seven digs and 10 assists.
JV -- COSL won, 25-18, 25-11.
* Central's freshman football team tied Perryville 28-28. George Hamilton III scored two touchdowns for the Tigers (1-1-1), including a 95-yard kickoff return.
Cantrell Andrews and Nick Bird also scored touchdowns for Central.
-- From staff reports