- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Red Cross director recovering
Mary Burton, director of Southeast Missouri chapter of the Red Cross, returned to her position Monday after recovering from an angiogram. Volunteer Harry Rediger stepped in to assist in Burton's absence and will do so until Friday.
Burton, 51, admitted herself to the Southeast Missouri Hospital emergency room a week ago after experiencing stress-related chest pains. Though needing to rest more often, Burton said she will concentrate on assisting people who have been displaced by Hurricane Katrina.
"It's a big job. It's a huge job," Burton said.
"I am utilizing those wonderful volunteer resources that we have to come in and assist us at a time when we need them."