- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)3
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
A hidden island paradise awaits
Enclosed in shade trees, the black-shuttered white and red brick home at 528 Elm St. in Jackson certainly has curb appeal.
All around this corner house, landscaping includes white and red rocks and bushes. The front porch is lined with brick flower beds. The atrium occupies much of the area in back.
Oatmeal-colored berber carpeting covers the living-room floor, except for a small brown parquet space just inside the front door. Between the shutters in front are five-paned bay windows.
To the right of the front door, all three bedrooms are aligned. Each bedroom closet has lights and sliding doors. Two of the bedrooms have hardwood flooring, the other is carpeted to match the living room and hall. All three have one or two picture windows.
The hallway bathroom has a new bath and shower combination, vinyl flooring and ceramic tile on the walls. Over the sink and Formica countertop, four make-up lights illuminate each side of the mirror, which is flanked by two mirrored medicine cabinets. Below the counter is cabinet space in addition to a linen closet in the hall.
Between the elevated deck and the living room, the kitchen is wide and long, opening to the front. A side-by-side almond-color refrigerator stands next to a new built-in electric stove with a microwave overhead. Oak cabinets jut above the ceramic tile countertops on either side of the brown double sink, with more cabinet space below.
A two-car garage with a concrete floor, shelf space, two lights and a door opener extends from the kitchen.
V-shaped brick walls with black vertical iron railing enclose the elevated concrete deck. From here there is a view of the hot tub and solarium that face the back yard. This room includes roll-down shutters, an exhaust fan and lights, and separate electric heat.
Circular black iron stairs lead down to the patio and walk.
Maple, oak and buckeye trees provide shade behind the house and three lights on the patio illuminate the back yard. Two tall holly trees also distinguish this area.
Berber-carpeted stairs with an oak railing lead to the finished basement. The first visible feature of this area is a wet bar with light brown Formica countertops and two bullet lights overhead. The electric fire and smoke alarm system are nearby. In the next room is a log fireplace with a blower system, and logs may be stored in a twin alcove. Gas logs may also be used.
The basement contains a small office area with a built-in bookcase, a large laundry room and a storage closet with two adjoining sliding doors.
In the basement bathroom, the white vanity, toilet and plumbing are new. Also included are sink, shower, heat light and two socket lights built into the ceiling.
This home is near a park, restaurants and a bowling alley.
About this house:
* Address: 528 Elm, Jackson
* Agency: Capaha Realty, 334-9628
* Price: $139,500