- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
B.A. Sports Volleyball Classic to begin today
The B.A. Sports Volleyball Classic, hosted annually on the campus of Southeast Missouri State University and other locations in Cape Girardeau, typically features a field predominantly made up of Southeast Missouri teams.
Despite featuring the best the area has to offer, no area team has won the B.A. Sports tournament in recent years. Lindbergh won last year's tournament, while Notre Dame of St. Louis captured the title in 2003. Cape Notre Dame was the last area team to make the finals, finishing runner-up in 2001 and 2002.
It could be another struggle this season; many of the perenially strong programs in the area have young squads. Jackson, which returns several players, is off to a strong start after finishing fourth in the Southern Illinois Tournament in Carbondale last weekend. St. Vincent could also be a team to watch after winning the Notre Dame Volleyballfest.
This year's tournament will feature 40 teams and begins today with games at the Student Recreation Center, Notre Dame Regional High School and Central.
Defending champion Lindbergh is 5-0 to start the season and will be in a pool with Bell City, Meadow Heights, Kennett and Saxony Lutheran.
Scott City and Leopold, both off to strong starts, will be in a tough Pool F along with Bismarck. The Rams lost to Bismarck in the Class 2 sectional round last season.
Jackson will have Class 1 runner-up Gideon in its pool.
The championship is set for 6:30 p.m. on Saturday.
Notre Dame to square off against three-time state champions
Notre Dame's boys soccer team, 4-1 to start the season, will travel to three-time defending Class 1 state champion Whitfield on Saturday.
Whitfield was ranked No. 2 in the Post Dispatch small schools preseason poll and is off to a 1-2-1 start.
While the Bulldogs take on one of the state's top small-school programs, Central and Jackson will each hit the road for weekend tournaments.
Jackson will travel to the Rolla Tournament, while Central will play in the Francis Howell Tournament. The Tigers will play today against Jefferson City at 5 p.m.