- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Sports briefs 8/10/05
Roy Lee All-Stars finish fourth in MAYB
The Roy Lee All-Stars boys basketball team for 13-and-under boys finished fourth in its bracket at the Mid America Youth Basketball tournament in Wichita, Kan.
The team had won its first six games at the event before dropping two games Sunday.
The Roy Lee All-Stars lost to the Austin, Texas, Wreckers 58-43 in the semifinal round and then was beaten 53-49 by the Pine Bluff, Ark., Lions in the third-place game.
The event draws more than 500 teams from more than 20 states.
Holcombs place first in couples league play
John and Judy Holcomb won first-place honors last week in Cape Girardeau Country Club Friday Night Couples action.
The team of Jerry and Claudia VanOostrom placed second. Finishing third were David and Kathy Morris.
Southeast volleyball nets academic honor
The Southeast Missouri State volleyball program recently received the 2004-05 Game Plan/American Volleyball Coaches Association Team Academic Award.
Southeast is one of three Ohio Valley Conference schools among the 45 NCAA Division I schools nationwide to garner the academic honor for maintaining at least a 3.30 cumulative team grade point average during the school year.
Jacksonville State and Samford are the other OVC schools to receive the award.
Each school will receive a plaque, and each player a certificate commemorating the designation.
Southeast soccer exhibition game set
The Southeast women's soccer team will kick off its exhibition season Saturday with a 7:30 p.m. game at Houck Stadium against the St. Louis Soccer Club.
The Redhawks, who begin practice Thursday, will also have an exhibition match at 7:30 p.m. Aug. 19 against J.B. Marine from St. Louis.
Southeast opens the regular season Aug. 26 in the Austin Peay Tournament.
Elfrink places in top two twice in horseshoes
Tyler Elfrink was on the winning team Saturday in Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association results at the Knights of Columbus in Leopold and was on the second-place team Sunday.
On Saturday, Elfrink teamed with Cory Stoverink to top a field of 15 teams.
Charlie Urhahn and Edgar Stoverink were second, and Dan Elfrink and Andrew Jackson finished third.
On Sunday, also at the Knights of Columbus in Leopold, Rick Garland and Kory Kluesner topped a 16-team field.
Tyler Elfrink and Terrie Rose finished second. Dan Elfrink and Edgar Stoverink finished third.
Festus rolls to state Legion championship
Festus, which won the recent Zone 4 American Legion baseball tournament in Jackson, went on to capture the state title last weekend in Sedalia.
Festus finished 3-0 in the four-team state meet, outscoring its opponents 35-11, including a 10-0 victory over Springfield Kickapoo in the championship game.
Next for Festus (43-8) is the Mid-South Regional beginning Thursday in Pine Bluff, Ark. The regional winner earns a berth in the American Legion World Series.
-- From staff reports