- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)48
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says copsí good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
POPLAR BLUFF, Mo. -- Raymond Leo McManus, 88, of Poplar Bluff went home to be with the Lord Saturday, Aug. 6, 2005, at the home of his son.
Mr. McMan-us was born Aug. 1, 1917, at Harviell, Mo.
He was a member of Temple Baptist Church in Poplar Bluff. Mr. McManus was employed by Mississippi River Transmission Corp. 30 years, retiring in 1979. He was also a self-employed electrician.
He loved his family, his friends, and his country. He was known as "Leo", "Papa", and "Mr. Mack". He was an avid RVer and loved to travel. He attended school at Pleasant Valley and was one of the first bus drivers in the Neelyville, Mo., School District.
He was a veteran of World War II, serving as a flying sergeant with the Army Air Corps 34th Squadron of the 315th Troop Carrier Group. On D-Day he flew a C-47 cargo plane on three missions, dropping paratroopers and supplies onto Omaha Beach. Through the years he enjoyed the many reunions with the surviving men of the 315th Troop Carrier Group.
On Aug. 10, 1944, he married Juanita Gilliam. She preceded him in death Jan. 23, 1983. He married Marie Ginger Feb. 4, 1984. She preceded him in death Nov. 7, 1999. He married Ruby Hunsacker Nov. 4, 2003. She survives.
Other survivors include a daughter, Nita Sheets and husband Robert of Cape Girardeau; a son, Raymond McManus Jr. and wife Cathy of Poplar Bluff; a grandson, David Sheets and wife Jessica of Atlanta, Ga.; a granddaughter, Laura Graham and husband Randy of Cape Girardeau; and a great-grandson, Caleb Sheets of Atlanta.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Samuel and Susie McManus, and three brothers.
Visitation will be today from 6 to 8 p.m. at Cotrell Funeral Chapel.
The funeral will be Wednesday at 10 a.m. at the funeral home, with the Rev. Steve Patterson officiating. Burial will be in City Cemetery.