- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)41
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
Heartland teams reach Babe Ruth World Series
The Heartland 10-and-under girls softball team advanced to the Babe Ruth World Series as it won its Babe Ruth regional on Sunday, defeating Neosho Valley, Kan., 7-1 in the championship game in Burlington, Colo.
Summer Burger picked up the victory on the mound.
Brandi Glastetter and Courtney Scheeter had three hits apiece in Hearland's 16-hit attack. Sierra Miller, Ashton Elfrink and Montana Estes had two hits apiece.
The Heartland Nationals 12-and-under Babe Ruth softball team earned a bid to the Babe Ruth World Series with a 10-5 victory over the Southern Flames of Colorado at the regional tournament Sunday.
Brooke Glastetter earned the win on the mound, and Heartland produced seven hits at the plate.
Heartland had won each of its first two games by the mercy rule in the tournament, which took place in Burlington, Colo.
Little League Softball
The Perryville girls senior all-stars (ages 15-16) won the Little League Softball state championship on Sunday in Perryville, defeating Aurora, Mo., 10-7 in the title game.
The win advances Perryville to the regional championship, which begins Friday in South Bend, Ind.
Perryville went 3-1 in the tournament and avenged a pool-play loss to Aurora.
Kailyn Petzoldt was the winning pitcher on Sunday, as Perryville rallied for the victory. Aurora led 7-0, but Perryville tied the game with seven runs in the top of the sixth inning. Perryville then scored three runs in the seventh for the win.
Zone 4 field complete
The field was completed for the American Legion Zone 4 senior tournament on Sunday.
Festus claimed the final spot in the five-team tournament that begins Thursday at Legion Field in Jackson. Festus defeated Perryville 17-2 in seven innings to claim its district. Festus, which emerged from the losers bracket, also defeated Perryville 10-0 on Saturday night.
Also in the field will be host Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Manchester and Anheuser Busch.