- Few Southeast students face suspension, expulsion for sexual assaults, campus paper finds (4/25/17)5
- Perryville family organizing bone-marrow drive Friday for ailing 6-year-old boy (4/26/17)
- Woman battered after smashing boyfriend's meth pipe against wall, police say (4/25/17)1
- Pilot House goes smoke-free (4/23/17)10
- Temptations bassist dies after Cape Girardeau show (4/26/17)2
- Event includes the first public tour of 200-year-old Elmwood Manor (4/23/17)3
- BBB warns Jackson man's online business might not be legit (4/24/17)
- Cape couple turns their home into cozy, comfortable music venue (4/24/17)
- Cape councilman Bob Fox to run for mayor (4/21/17)5
- Sikeston man charged in shooting death of Cape man (4/23/17)
Imagine erstwhile Hollywood bad boy Mickey Rourke and screen beauty Diane Lane hanging out at Buckner's or Broussard's or dancing to Bruce Zimmerman's band at the Water Street Lounge. That may not be the least of the impacts on Cape Girardeau if scenes from the upcoming movie "Killshot" are filmed here.
Director John Madden of "Shakespeare in Love" fame was in the city last week scouting possible locations. A decision on whether to film the scenes here or in Canada -- production costs usually are lower there than in the U.S. -- is expected to be made in a few weeks.
The movie is based on the Elmore Leonard novel of the same name. In the book, a Michigan couple in the federal witness protection program is relocated to Cape Girardeau. The book mentions West Park Mall, now Westfield, and Missouri Dry Dock.
The cast also includes Diane Lane, "Lord of the Rings" star Viggo Mortensen and singer Justin Timberlake.
J. Kim Tucci, chairman of the St. Louis Chamber of Commerce and former chairman of the Missouri Film Commission, estimates the film could have a $40 million impact on the region. But the actual figure would depend on how long filming takes.
If it happens, "Killshot" would be the first movie ever filmed here. If "Killshot" goes elsewhere, we'll go to the movie and imagine what might have been.