- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)3
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
World briefs 7/23/05
Activist says dissidents detained in Cuba Friday
HAVANA -- Several dissidents were detained Friday, including three organizers of a hotly contested opposition meeting, according to a longtime human rights activist. Martha Beatriz Roque, who spearheaded the May 20 gathering of dissidents, was among those rounded up by state security agents, said Elizardo Sanchez of the non-governmental Cuban Commission for Human Rights and National Reconciliation. He said as many as 20 dissidents were detained. He said they were detained after government supporters helped prevent a protest called for Friday morning.
Continued violence in Iraq leaves 16 dead
BAGHDAD, Iraq -- Gunmen fired on a car carrying a newlywed couple and their families on Friday, killing the 23-year-old bride and wounding the Iraqi army captain she had just married. They were ambushed in Baghdad's southern Dora neighborhood. Four people -- one Iraqi soldier and three civilians -- were killed in Samarra, 60 miles north of Baghdad, during clashes there, police said. The other 11 victims were Iraqi police or soldiers killed in scattered, small-scale attacks throughout Baghdad. Also Friday, the U.S. military announced that a Marine was killed the day before in a roadside bombing while conducting combat operations west of Baghdad.
-- From wire reports