- Missing Jackson woman found dead in Bollinger County pond (06/23/16)2
- Many Jackson students may face random drug-testing (06/26/16)27
- Village of Zalma must disincorporate, law says (06/23/16)5
- Jackson man accused of felony assault after attack at Cape bar (06/26/16)8
- I want an angry president (06/21/16)17
- Man allegedly kicks woman, punches man after denied a sexual favor (06/23/16)
- Witness says he saw suspect kill his best friend (06/24/16)
- Officials: Ash borer less of a problem here than in St. Louis (06/27/16)
- Advance graduate will become superintendent of its schools (06/21/16)1
- Odd court hearing ends with judge declaring probable cause in abuse case (06/22/16)4
Guild fires director after TV discussion of graphic painting
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. -- Broward Art Guild director Sus-an Buzzi says she was fired for talking on television about a sexually explicit caricature involving President Bush.
Buzzi and Alfred Phillips, who painted the piece, were on "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart" last week, discussing the work with the comedian.
Guild board members assured Phillips that Buzzi's firing had nothing to do with exhibiting his work or appearing on the comedy show.
"However, I think the board members used poor judgment in their timing," he said. "It gives the appearance that censorship is alive and well."
Julia Andrews, the new president of the guild's board of directors, declined to discuss the reasons for Buzzi's dismissal.
The graphic painting was selected for the gallery by an outside consultant and was sold following the May exhibit.
On the Net: http://www.browardartguild.org