- Cape teacher accused of assaulting student at football game (10/23/16)41
- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/23/16)9
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)9
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- One issue reveals Clinton's character (10/25/16)18
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- One victim IDs his attacker in shooting that killed woman (10/25/16)1
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Hundreds turn out for VintageNOW fundraiser (10/23/16)3
- R.P. Lumber chain buys Southeast Missouri Builders Supply in Cape (10/25/16)7
Jackson Sr. Legion sweeps doubleheader
Jackson's Senior American Legion team continued its strong start Saturday by sweeping a doubleheader from visiting Perryville, winning 7-6 and 10-0 in five innings.
Jackson (7-1) scored two runs in the seventh inning of the opener to rally for the victory. Tyler Blackwell pitched the final two innings to get the win. Blackwell relieved Kyle Long, who allowed five runs and struck out eight in five innings.
Austin McDowell led Jackson's offense with a 3-for-4 game. McDowell had a three-run home run in the fourth inning. Kyle McMinn, Josh Parham and Tim Stearns had two hits apiece. Stearns also added a home run for Jackson.
In the second game, Jackson won by the 10-run rule. McDowell pitched a complete game for Jackson, striking out seven and walking one. Parham led the offense, going 3-for-3 with a three-run home run. Jason Meystedt added two hits, including a two-run double.
Cape Girardeau Jr. Legion splits a doubleheader
Cape Girardeau's Cliff's Rent To Own Junior Legion team split a doubleheader with visiting Calvert City, Ky., Saturday. Cape won the opener 4-1 and lost the second game 4-1.
Matt Hellrich pitched a gem for Cape (8-4) in the opener, allowing only one hit over seven innings. He struck out five and walked two. Zach Hudson and Brandon Cooper led the offense for Cape. Hudson went 4-for-4 with three stolen bases, and Cooper was 2-for-2 with four stolen bases.
In the second game, Cape could not take advantage of nine hits. Stuart Doyle took the loss.
Jonesboro field unkind to Jackson Jr. Legion
Colliersville, Tenn., scored six runs in the first inning and beat Jackson Junior Legion 12-6 Saturday in the Jonesboro (Ark.) Tournament.
Joel Penrod and Rex Meyr went 3-for-4 in the loss. Penrod had a double and drove in three runs, and Meyr scored three runs.
Zach Kennedy took the loss.
Jackson went 1-2 in pool play in the tournament.
Tilghman sets record at Tywappity Trails 5K
Cape Girardeau's Ross Tilghman won the Tywappity Trails 5K in Chaffee Saturday with a course-record 18:13.
Tilghman's time was three seconds faster than the previous record set by Mike Manning in 1998. Chaffee's Stephanie Bennett was the top female in 24:18.
Bryan Kelpe, Jody Ressell, Trever Duncan and Jared Hicks rounded out the top five in a field of 62 runners.
White Sox schedule open tryout in Hillsboro
The Chicago White Sox will hold a tryout for ages 15 to 21 at Jefferson College in Hillsboro, Mo., at 10 a.m. Tuesday.
-- From staff reports