- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)31
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Heartland Care will honor volunteer
The Southeast Missourian
Amanda Mayfield, youth volunteer of Heartland Care and Rehabilitation Center, will be honored at an awards ceremony at Dexter Bar-B-Que on Wednesday.
Amanda, 15, helps at the center with parties, crafts, singalongs and Bingo. She also has gone on shopping trips, fishing trips, to mud races and to the fair with residents. She has become a personal friend to many of the residents, and sometimes helps them do things like polishing their nails, combing their hair and rearranging their rooms. She knows every resident, and every resident knows her.
Because of her work, Amanda has been named Youth Volunteer of District V Missouri Health Care Association. She will attend the state convention at Tan-Tar-A Resort next month, where she will compete for the State Volunteer of the Year.