- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Jackson Legion wins its 11th straight
The Jackson American Legion team clinched the No. 3 seed in the District 14 tournament with a 6-2 victory Thursday night against Scott County American Legion Post 369 (Medicap).
Regardless of the seedings, Jackson (23-12 overall, 3-2 in the district) will enter Monday's district tournament as the hottest team after recording its 11th consecutive victory. The team likely won't play again before then, as Perryville, which had been listed as an opponent before rain-related postponements early in the week, tries to finish its District 13 schedule.
Tyler Beussink posted the pitching win Thursday in Chaffee. He allowed two runs on three hits and three walks with five strikeouts. Austin Morrison allowed one hit in three innings for the save.
Beussink also helped his cause with two hits. Jason Meystedt had three hits and an RBI. Zach Brazer delivered a key hit for Jackson with a two-run double in the seventh inning that gave Post 158 a 5-2 lead.
Matt Seyer took the loss for Scott County (10-14), allowing four hits and three runs in five innings. Lucas Dirnberger finished up, allowing three runs in four innings.
Shane Menz was 2-for-3 with a double for Post 369.
Cape juniors game halted
The Cape GIrardeau American Legion junior team's game with host Festus in the zone tournament was stopped by rain Thursday.
The game at West City Park in Festus will resume at 5:30 p.m. today with Cape Girardeau leading 1-0 in the first inning.
-- From staff reports