- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
How the story was reported
Even 25 years after the murder of retired Southeast Missouri State University professor Margaret Smith, many people are reluctant to discuss the case.
Brian "Andy" Abbott, who is in his 23rd year of a 37-year sentence at the Jefferson City Correctional Center for Smith's death and the theft of her car, declined interview requests from the Southeast Missourian.
Abbott's family could not be reached for comment. The parents of Randy Todd, an acquaintance of Abbott, declined to discuss his death.
This two-day series was pieced together using details from open records, including the trial transcript, police reports and related documents, as well as interviews with officials involved in the case.