- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Jackson Babe Ruth reaches Charleston tourney title tilt
The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth team pounded Century (Ill.) 15-5 in five innings Saturday to advance to the finals of the Fighting Squirrels Wood Bat Classic in Charleston.
Tyler Profilet had three hits and drove in four runs to lead Jackson's 14-hit attack. Trevor Thompson, Brett Groening and Ryan Watkins added two hits apiece.
Profilet pitched three innings for the win. Thompson started and pitched the first two innings.
Jackson (25-6) will play the winner of the Scott County American Legion-Portageville Babe Ruth semifinal in today's 3 p.m. championship.
Cape's Senior Babe Ruth team won two games on Saturday to capture the consolation bracket. Cape beat Fulton 13-3 in five innings and host Charleston 6-5.
Cape (15-8) had just six hits against Fulton. Trey Glaus and Tyler Bruce had two hits apiece. Adam Thomas struck out four in a complete game victory.
Cape then won a thriller over the host team in the fifth-place game. Winning pitcher David Jackson scored the game-winning run in the bottom of the sixth after leading off the inning with a hit. Nathan Kolda had three hits, including the game-winning RBI. Bruce added two hits.
Jackson struck out six in a complete game.
Cape Legion splits two
The Cape Girardeau American Legion team split a doubleheader at Twin Rivers.
Cape (14-21) lost the opener 7-5 and won the second game 10-9.
Ty Craft finished with five hits on the day, and Scott Brueckner had four.
Kendal Deason added two hits in the opener.
Kent Deason and Steve Miinch had two hits apiece in the second game. Cory Huskey added a home run in the second game.
Mike Taylor picked up the pitching victory in the second game with four innings of relief.
Cape juniors reach final
The Cape Girardeau American Legion junior team earned a spot in the District 14 championship game with a 7-4 victory against No. 2 Sikeston on Saturday at Chaffee.
Cape, the top seed, will play the winner of the losers bracket final at 4 p.m. today. A second game would follow if necessary.
Kory Kitchen provided the big blow for Cape with a three-RBI double. Brooks Osburn, Garrett Stevens and Alex Shell each had two hits for Cape.
Tyler Propst was the winning pitcher. He struck out five, walked four and allowed two earned runs in seven innings.
-- From staff reports