- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Body discovered near Commerce
COMMERCE, Mo. -- The discovery of a body near Commerce has resulted in a murder investigation as authorities believe the man was a victim of foul play.
According to Scott County chief deputy Thomas Beardslee, the body of a white male, probably in his 60s, was recovered Tuesday afternoon adjacent to the riverbank north of Commerce.
The man was the apparent victim of a homicide, but Beardslee wouldn't comment on suspected cause of death. He did say that local investigators believe the killing occurred elsewhere and the body was just dumped in Scott County.
Authorities have the possible identity of the victim and a potential suspect but are refusing to release their names at this time in order not to jeopardize the investigation.
Beardslee said the body was discovered by a fisherman.