- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Boy falls to death from carnival ride
HIGHLAND, Ind. -- A 9-year-old boy died after falling more than 25 feet from the gondola of a rotating carnival ride during a Fourth of July festival at a town park.
"Rider error, operator error, equipment failure -- we don't know at this point," Highland police chief Peter Hojnicki said. "His death was caused by unknown reasons."
Dakota Stevenson of Gary, Ind., was pronounced dead at a hospital shortly after falling Friday night from the Wind Shear, a ride in which passengers are strapped into a rotating gondola with over-the-shoulder restraints.
All of the carnival rides remained shut down Saturday while the festival continued.
The Wind Shear ride was last inspected June 23 and appeared to be safe at the time of the inspection, said the Indiana Division of Fire and Building Safety.