- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Business Notebook: Yule Log Cabin gets home feel honestly (12/4/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Fire displaces family of seven (12/5/17)1
- Fruitland Army veteran spends weeks helping in ravaged Puerto Rico (12/5/17)2
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
It's time to pull out of Iraq
To the editor:
We must be responsible and begin the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq.
A year ago the Iraqi citizens participated in their election, yet they are not and cannot be a true, stabilized democracy as long as our troops are there. Our presence is only fueling the growing insurgency. It is giving them an excuse to continue their fight.
We now know that Iraq was not behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. There were no WMDs. We went into this war based on poor information or, at the very worst, lies.
It is time to leave. We need a real exit plan. We need to set up a timeline and strategy for our training of Iraqi troops and rebuilding of the country so the Iraqis can begin the hard work ahead of them.
We have spent so much money there while our economy at home suffers. Just a fraction of the money spent could provide health care for thousands of children or wipe out global hunger for a year.
I support those brave men and women who are fighting, but I do not want them to die to pad Halliburton's pockets.
The United States needs our National Guard and Reserves here at home. We are not safer with them fighting in Iraq. If there is a major disaster, we need them here, doing what they are trained to do.
I am a member of the GOP and have been for over 30 years.
CYNTHIA ADAMS, Jackson