- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)12
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- Scott City school chief gets raise, while some teachers don't (8/17/17)6
- 'Love, not hate': Area residents gather to sing, talk about racial issues after violence in Charlottesville (8/14/17)89
The ignored will vote accordingly
To the editor:
For recipients making over $686 a month there will be no more crutches, canes or walkers. They can get wheelchairs, but no batteries to power them. Many are losing prescription drug benefits. Hundreds living happily with assisted living are to be forced into nursing homes.
Many of these people are great Americans who once served in the USO, Salvation Army and Red Cross or were nurses. Others kept our factories going during World War II manufacturing clothing, food, planes, tanks and other arms while our soldiers fought overseas. They paid their dues and taxes while working.
Now nothing is left for them. It is survival of the fittest. The hyenas and jackals are at the doors of these disabled Americans. What will we require next? That they sell their blood to pay for medicine?
I drive these wonderful Missourians and listen to their concerns. Be advised, Jefferson City, that the next election is foremost on their minds. I went to Jefferson City with some of them who volunteered to assist the governor's commission in reforming the system and weeding out abuse. They were shoved aside and ignored. Maybe that callous attitude will change come next election.
RICHARD BUELTEMANN, Cape Girardeau