- Man shot by police ID'd; witness shares his side of story (2/17/17)31
- Panda Express restaurant coming to Cape's Siemers Drive (2/14/17)2
- Golden Corral nearing opening; soft open scheduled for Monday or Tuesday (2/12/17)8
- Settlement reached in accidental shooting case at Kelly High (2/15/17)10
- Jackson board votes to demolish high school building if bond issue passes (2/15/17)24
- Cape officer shoots man inside a home (2/16/17)7
- Southeast reports three confirmed cases of mumps; more cases possible (2/14/17)1
- Right to Work and Taxes (2/10/17)
- Man dies after being shot by officer; said to have come at cop with knife (2/16/17)29
- Former Cape cop indicted on possessing child porn (2/17/17)
Speak Out 6/23/05
In front seat only
I BELIEVE that you should only have to wear seat belts in the front seat of an automobile. In his column, Walter E. Williams didn't take into account that police officers have to scrape someone off the highway because the occupants of a crashed vehicle didn't have their seat belts on. Police officers are only human and don't need to come up on really gruesome scenes when it can be helped by simply wearing a seat belt in the front seat.
Might save lives
A CALLER was concerned about embryos used in stem-cell research becoming future congressmen, scientists, doctors, lawyers or judges. That is difficult to imagine, since most of the fertilized eggs in question are flushed down laboratory sinks when not used for reproduction. If used in research, they might well result in saving of the lives of future congressmen, scientists, doctors, lawyers or judges.
WHEN THE reviewers reviewed "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," they left out one good flick that reminds one of "Mr. & Mrs. Smith." and that is "Intolerable Cruelty" with Catherine Zeta Jones. I thought she did a much better job in this sort of role than Angelina Jolie.
A LIFE begins at the fusion of the male sperm with the egg in a woman. How else do you think we got here? To use these eggs to try to produce one embryo for research science is not only morally unacceptable, but criminal.
Park is locked
HERE IT is another beautiful Saturday afternoon and Klaus Park is locked up tighter than a drum. Why did the county spend all that money on paving and new restrooms if the park is going to be locked up a majority of the time.
IF YOU want an awesome feeling of patriotism, go see the parade of flags at Cape County Park and Brookside Park in Jackson. They are usually on display on federal holidays.
Time for rationing
WHY DOESN'T the government ration gas? That would stop over-consumption.
Too many pets
NO ONE needs four dogs and eight cats. Cats are worse than dogs, since they are allowed to roam the neighborhood. If you can afford to feed that many animals, you should help feed the hungry children around this world.
I HOPE someone can help me understand this. Why is it some people have nice grass beside their streets that they can mow right up to the edge of the blacktop, but here in the county where it is gravel we have to have deep ruts and ditches so deep that the neighbor can bury his dead cow in them? We can't mow along the road to keep it nice. Why do we have to have deep ditches? If the ditches get filled in, the road crews make a new one. Why do you need a ditch on the top of a hill?