- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)42
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)26
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Community digest 06/23/05
Multiple Sclerosis Society seeks achievers
The Multiple Sclerosis Society is accepting nominations for the 2005 Annual Achievement Awards honoring people affected by MS. Categories include individual achievement, mother and father of the year, caregiver of the year, employer of the year, unsung hero. The deadline is July 29. Entry forms are required for all nominations. For more information, call the MS Society at (314) 781-9020 or visit www.gatewaymssociety.org.
Hyslop annual family reunion held in Bloomfield
BLOOMFIELD, Mo. -- The Hyslop families celebrated their annual family reunion at the residence of Dennis and Susan Hyslop of Bloomfield on June 12. Family members from Jackson, Cape Girardeau, Dexter, Mo., Advance, Mo., Tamms, Ill., surrounding communities and other states attended.
St. Jude extends dream home viewing
The St. Jude Dream Home Giveaway will take place at 2 p.m. Sunday on Charter Communications Channel 11. All prizes will be drawn live. Fewer than 3,000 tickets have been sold, so St. Jude has added free tours from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. all week. Tickets may be purchased through outlets at Hancock Fabrics and Coldwell Banker Hamilton Realty or by calling (800) 382-8604 or online at www.stjudedreamhome.org. The home is valued at approximately $320,000. From Interstate 55, take exit 96 and turn east on William Street. Turn left onto Mount Auburn Road and continue to the stop sign. At the stop sign, turn left onto New Hopper Road. The Dream House is half mile a down on the left.
Art auction to benefit Riverside Regional Library
Artwork by the late Gwen Winningham of Jackson will be auctioned at 7 p.m. Monday at Riverside Regional Library. Proceeds from the auction will be donated to the library in Jackson. About 24 pastels and oil paintings, some of which were entries in Southeast Missourian newspaper and St. Louis art contests, include landscapes, people and figurative drawings.
Humane Society receives donation from PetCo
The Petco Foundation recently made a $742 donation to the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri. Proceeds will be used to help feed and shelter animals released to the facility, numbering 5,400 just last year. The fund-raising event, "Spring a Pet," was held from March 13 to April 17. For information about the Humane Society of Southeast Missouri, call 334-5837.
-- From staff reports