- Two men seriously hurt in crash near Fruitland (9/21/16)3
- Community helps Jackson family with two cases of muscular dystrophy (9/19/16)
- Perryville man arrested for alleged patronizing prostitution, harassment (9/23/16)6
- Eldorado Resorts to buy Isle of Capri Casinos (9/20/16)7
- Concealed-carry restrictions remain in Missouri despite new state law (9/18/16)22
- Video and evidence largely confirm trooper's claims in April traffic stop shooting (9/23/16)6
- Funeral procession of former Cape Girardeau police chief Henry H. Gerecke (9/22/16)17
- Cape man accused of attacking pregnant girlfriend (9/22/16)
- Poplar Bluff man accused of beating a grandmother to death with baseball bat (9/18/16)
- Cape man may lose eye after shovel beating, police say (9/25/16)2
Mass not meant to be entertaining
To the editor:
Many people do not like to go to a Catholic Mass because they say they get bored. That is because they do not realize what Mass is. Mass is not entertainment. The main focus is worship of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes."
At the first Passover, if little Johnny did not like lamb and ate a symbol of a lamb, the firstborn of that family would die. Why? "All had to eat of the Lamb." When Jesus died on the cross, he became the Lamb, a once-and-for-all-time continuous sacrifice (meal) until he comes again.
This is why the Mass is, yes, boring, but also unworldly, spiritual and holy. Mass is not about me. It is about him. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie or a concert. If you want to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, go to Mass.
GERARD MACKE, Leopold, Mo.