- Krispy Kreme coming to Cape Girardeau (12/14/17)2
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Cape schools to get two new principals, assistant superintendent (12/13/17)1
- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Kelso resident brings home $60K in lottery winnings (12/14/17)
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
Mass not meant to be entertaining
To the editor:
Many people do not like to go to a Catholic Mass because they say they get bored. That is because they do not realize what Mass is. Mass is not entertainment. The main focus is worship of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes."
At the first Passover, if little Johnny did not like lamb and ate a symbol of a lamb, the firstborn of that family would die. Why? "All had to eat of the Lamb." When Jesus died on the cross, he became the Lamb, a once-and-for-all-time continuous sacrifice (meal) until he comes again.
This is why the Mass is, yes, boring, but also unworldly, spiritual and holy. Mass is not about me. It is about him. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie or a concert. If you want to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, go to Mass.
GERARD MACKE, Leopold, Mo.