- Pedestrian killed during traffic collision on I-55 (10/21/16)5
- Scott County Sheriff Rick Walter faces challenge from criminal investigator Wes Drury (10/21/16)8
- Shooting injures two people in Cape early Tuesday (10/19/16)34
- 18-year-old killed in one-car crash Thursday morning (10/21/16)1
- Man arrested after dispute at school spurs brief lockdown (10/21/16)6
- Perry County: A great place to find home away from home (10/14/16)
- 'I feel for them' (10/20/16)1
- Tours provide a glimpse of Cape Girardeau's supposedly haunted past (10/17/16)1
- Benton man accused of statutory rape, selling pot (10/20/16)1
- Crews are working on the new Drury Hotel (10/21/16)1
Mass not meant to be entertaining
To the editor:
Many people do not like to go to a Catholic Mass because they say they get bored. That is because they do not realize what Mass is. Mass is not entertainment. The main focus is worship of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes."
At the first Passover, if little Johnny did not like lamb and ate a symbol of a lamb, the firstborn of that family would die. Why? "All had to eat of the Lamb." When Jesus died on the cross, he became the Lamb, a once-and-for-all-time continuous sacrifice (meal) until he comes again.
This is why the Mass is, yes, boring, but also unworldly, spiritual and holy. Mass is not about me. It is about him. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie or a concert. If you want to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, go to Mass.
GERARD MACKE, Leopold, Mo.