- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)7
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)38
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Mass not meant to be entertaining
To the editor:
Many people do not like to go to a Catholic Mass because they say they get bored. That is because they do not realize what Mass is. Mass is not entertainment. The main focus is worship of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes."
At the first Passover, if little Johnny did not like lamb and ate a symbol of a lamb, the firstborn of that family would die. Why? "All had to eat of the Lamb." When Jesus died on the cross, he became the Lamb, a once-and-for-all-time continuous sacrifice (meal) until he comes again.
This is why the Mass is, yes, boring, but also unworldly, spiritual and holy. Mass is not about me. It is about him. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie or a concert. If you want to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, go to Mass.
GERARD MACKE, Leopold, Mo.