- Woman's post about 'Back the Blue' sign in Jackson coffee shop prompts firing from nearby bar (8/15/17)11
- Scott City man dies in motorcycle crash near Millersville (8/13/17)
- Sands Pancake House moving to Morgan Oak location (8/11/17)1
- Stoogefest headliner cancels, cites NAACP travel advisory in Missouri (8/15/17)2
- Cape movie theater to feature recliners, new food and drink options (8/11/17)3
- Teen convicted of shooting area woman in 2015 (8/13/17)
- Man accused of making terror threats against dental office (8/13/17)
- Councilman: Scott City mayor, city administrator resigned (8/15/17)4
- Woman dies in house fire in Cape Girardeau County (8/16/17)
- How to save a life: Lifeguards resuscitated young girl at Cape Splash (8/17/17)2
Mass not meant to be entertaining
To the editor:
Many people do not like to go to a Catholic Mass because they say they get bored. That is because they do not realize what Mass is. Mass is not entertainment. The main focus is worship of Jesus Christ.
Jesus said, "Do this in remembrance of me." 1 Corinthians 11:26: "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup you proclaim the death of the Lord until he comes."
At the first Passover, if little Johnny did not like lamb and ate a symbol of a lamb, the firstborn of that family would die. Why? "All had to eat of the Lamb." When Jesus died on the cross, he became the Lamb, a once-and-for-all-time continuous sacrifice (meal) until he comes again.
This is why the Mass is, yes, boring, but also unworldly, spiritual and holy. Mass is not about me. It is about him. If you want to be entertained, go to a movie or a concert. If you want to worship our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, go to Mass.
GERARD MACKE, Leopold, Mo.