- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)44
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)35
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Jackson Senior Babe Ruth rolls to doubleheader sweep of Sikeston
The Jackson Senior Babe Ruth baseball team swept Sikeston in a pair of games Sunday at Jackson Legion Field.
Jackson won the opener 17-2, then used the shutout pitching of Kyle Brown to post a 3-0 victory in the second game.
Jackson (16-4) pounded out 11 hits in the opener, including a three-run home run by Trevor Thompson, who also had a two-run double to finish with five RBIs. Sam Sander added three hits and two RBIs.
Brandon Stearns (5-0) allowed just four hits to record the win. He struck out nine and walked one.
Jackson took control early, scoring seven runs in the first and adding six in the fourth.
Kyle Brown limited Sikeston to three hits in the second game. He struck out 10 and didn't walk a batter.
Jackson mustered six hits, including two by Tyler Profilet, who had an RBI. Thompson also had an RBI hit.
Jackson scored two runs in the first and one in the third.
Jackson will visit Dexter on Tuesday for a 6 p.m. doubleheader.
Paducah 12, Cape Girardeau 2
Cape Junior Legion was ousted from the Paducah tournament with a lopsided loss to the host on Sunday in bracket play.
Chris Brotherton suffered the loss for Cape (11-6), allowing 10 hits in 3 1/3 innings. He struck out three and walked four.
Abe Dirnberger, Luke Moll and Joe Uhls accounted for Cape's three hits.
Cape emerged from pool play with a 2-1 record, which included a 14-5 victory over Bowling Green, Ky., on Saturday. Brett Heischmidt collected the win on the mound. Justin Myers had three hits, while Uhls had two hits and three RBIs.
-- From staff reports