- Feds ask judge to impose $6.5 million punishment for Cape surgeon (12/7/17)9
- Light and music show: Jackson family goes high-tech with Christmas display (12/11/17)
- Former Wimpy's Drive-In owner Freeman Lewis dies (12/9/17)2
- Makeover at the movies: Transformation complete inside Cape theater (12/8/17)4
- Jury convicts Scott City man who confessed to murder; girlfriend's testimony corroborates confession (12/9/17)
- Sugarfire Cape barbecue restaurant to open June 2018 (12/7/17)
- Pedestrian struck on Broadway (12/11/17)4
- Two Cape County residents, including former Jackson police officer, face burglary charges in Colorado (12/12/17)
- Wind brings down Wendy's sign in Cape Girardeau (12/11/17)2
- Harbor Freight Tools plans to move ahead with Cape Girardeau store (12/5/17)2
Equal protection under the law
To the editor:
If we are forbidden to discriminate because of gender, why is Carl Grant charged with a hate crime for slugging a homosexual who propositioned him? Is this different from a woman doing the same a man who propositioned her? Would she be charged with a hate crime? Would it be considered a hate crime if a man was slugged by a radical feminist? The Constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. How far we have fallen.
DAN JOHANNINGMEIER, Florissant, Mo.