- Golden Corral coming to Cape; may hire 100 workers (7/21/16)9
- Arrest warrants filed for six drug suspects in Cape (7/19/16)6
- Area groups working together to reintroduce elk in Missouri (7/18/16)1
- Suspect in downtown Cape shooting ID'd in court (7/20/16)2
- Prosecutor says shooting by state trooper was justified (7/24/16)15
- Hastings in Cape closing (7/22/16)5
- Governor signs Rep. Swan bill that equalizes child-custody criteria (7/6/16)5
- Jackson's former police dog euthanized Monday (7/21/16)2
- 'I want to see how far I can go' (7/21/16)2
- Southeast Missouri State football players, local police team up for Backstoppers benefit (7/22/16)2
Equal protection under the law
To the editor:
If we are forbidden to discriminate because of gender, why is Carl Grant charged with a hate crime for slugging a homosexual who propositioned him? Is this different from a woman doing the same a man who propositioned her? Would she be charged with a hate crime? Would it be considered a hate crime if a man was slugged by a radical feminist? The Constitution guarantees equal protection under the law. How far we have fallen.
DAN JOHANNINGMEIER, Florissant, Mo.