Learning briefs 6/14/05
Tuesday, June 14, 2005
Boy Scout recognized for top popcorn sales
Colin Keele of Cape Girardeau was recently recognized by the Greater St. Louis Council of Boy Scouts for outstanding popcorn sales in 2004. He is a first year Webelo and a member of local Pack 20, Den 1. He is the son of Dr. Anthony and Angela Keele.
Ellis to attend Boys State at CMSU
Syr-Franklin Kennedy Ellis II, a student at Notre Dame Regional High School, has been selected to attend America Legion Boys State of Missouri next week on the campus of Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg. He is the son of Frank and Sylvia Ellis.
Jackson students attend leadership conference
David Gholson, Cassie Atchison, Brittany Risinger, Jesse Pickens and Kristine Heartling recently represented the Jackson High School Future Farmers of America organization at an area leadership conference in Perryville, Mo.
Local student chosen for National Dean's List
Clay Tummins of Cape Girardeau has been selected for the National Dean's List 2004-2005. He is the son of Joyce Tummins of Cape Girardeau and Michael W. Tummins of Dickson, Tenn., and is a student at Southeast Missouri State University.
Brock gets first place in ethics competition
CARBONDALE, Ill. -- Cathy R. Brock of Cape Girardeau was among four doctoral students at Southern Illinois University at Carbondale to receive first place in the 2005 American Counseling Association Ethics Competition. Brock is a doctoral student in educational psychology from the Department of Educational Psychology and Special Education in SIUC's College of Education and Human Services.
Kelley chosen to attend Boys State at CMSU
Carson L. Kelley III has been selected to attend the American Legion Boys State this month on the campus of Central Missouri State University in Warrensburg, Mo. He is the son of Joan and Carson Kelley Jr.
Central junior to attend program at Vanderbilt
Nicholas Summary was selected to attend the program for talented youth at Vanderbilt University this month. He is a junior at Central High School and the son of Rebecca and Larry Summary of Cape Girardeau.
Students graduate from college with honors
These local students recently graduated from college with honors:
* Whitney Lape Brothers of Jackson, University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine.
* Cassie Gross, daughter of Chris and Deborah Gross of Cape Girardeau, graduated summa cum laude from Columbia College in Columbia, Mo.
* Krista Rust LeGrand, daughter of Jim Rust of Cape Girardeau and Sandra Glastetter of Chaffee, Mo., graduated with a doctorate in veterinary medicine and the Randolph Practitioner Award from the University of Missouri-Columbia.
Local students receive college scholarships
The following local students recently received scholarships:
* Sarah E. Riley-Laud of Jackson, graduate of Central High School and daughter of Sarah A. Riley, received the MU Alumni Association scholarship to University of Missouri-Columbia.
* Douglas Ludwig of Jackson, son of Randy and Carol Ludwig and a student at University of Missouri-Columbia, received the 2005 Southeast Missouri District Fair Foundation scholarship.
* Sarah Gaines of Oran, Mo., a 2005 graduate of Notre Dame Regional High School and daughter of John and Debbie Gaines, received a scholarship from the Scott County Women in Agriculture organization.
* Christina Perry of Cape Girardeau, received a presidential scholarship to Lee University in Cleveland, Tenn.
-- From staff reports