- Neelys Landing man shot, killed by highway patrol trooper after traffic stop (05/01/16)43
- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)49
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- River Ridge Winery changes hands (05/02/16)
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- 2016 All-Missourian Boys Basketball (04/29/16)
- Statement: Man says cops’ good work drove him to grow his own marijuana (05/01/16)1
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Hopper Road to close for months during construction of Veterans Drive (04/27/16)9
Southeast athlete picked for all-district team
For the second straight year, Southeast Missouri State University track athlete Laura VanHoevelaak has been selected to the Verizon Academic All-District VII team.
VanHoevelaak's selection makes her eligible for Verizon Academic All-American honors. Last year, she was a second-team Academic All-American.
VanHoevelaak graduated last year with a perfect 4.0 cumulative grade-point average. She has maintained a 4.0 GPA as a graduate student in health management.
Also, Southeast track and cross country athlete Jen Burke, who graduated this month with a perfect 4.0 GPA, was a second-team Academic All-District pick.
Area golfers finish strong in Sikeston tournament
Barb Johnson and Betty Belote led area golfers by finishing second in the championship flight at the Bootheel Golf Club's recent women's tournament.
Also among area competitors, Dorothy Holland and Sharon McCune were second in flight A, and Margaret Sanders and Dixie Jones were second in flight B.
Belote was closest to the pin on holes No. 5 and 15.
Elfrinks win horseshoe league event in Jackson
Tyler Elfrink and Don Elfrink teamed to win the Southeast Missouri Horseshoe Association event Sunday at the Jackson Knights of Columbus Hall.
Cori Stoverink and Virgil Schreckenberg were second among 13 teams. Herman Campbell and Bob Piper were third.
Trio leads field in country club's women's event
Robyn Young, Joyce Kuntze and Janet White teamed to win the three-person women's scramble Tuesday at the Cape Girardeau Country Club.
Williams, Coopers pair up to win country club title
Dale andLinda Williams teamed with Bill andRuth Cooper to win the Memorial Day Scramble at Cape Girardeau Country Club.
Full results are on Page 2B.
-- From staff reports