- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)45
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)6
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)36
- Tanker truck catches fire near Oak Ridge (04/24/16)7
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
Military digest 5/29/03
Twirlers Recognized For Accomplishments
Twirlers Chelsey Lukefahr, left, and Maysi Dougherty recently attended the Miss Shamrock Majorette Competition; Lukefahr was awarded second place and Dougherty earned fifth place. The two performed a one-baton duet routine together for which they were awarded second place in the beginner division.
Lukefahr received open honors including a participation award in modeling; first, third, and fourth place in basic strut; two fourth, one fifth, and two participation awards in solo.
Dougherty earned a participation award in modeling; two second place and one fifth place in basic strut; one second place and four participation awards in solo. The girls are members of the Southeast Area Twirlers Cape/Jackson twirling classes under the direction of Kandi K. Barksdale-Staples. For information on enrollment log onto their Website at www.capejacksontwirlers.com or call 649-2702. Reunion for missile security squadrons set
A reunion for the former members of the 351st and 352nd Missile Security Squadrons is scheduled for June 7 at Whiteman AFB, Missouri.
Activities will include a tour of the B-2 stealth bomber, AH-64A Apache helicopter and Oscar-1 launch control facility. A barbecue will be held at the base lake followed by a reception at the Mission End Club.
A special memorial ceremony will be held for the members of the helicopter crash of June 11, 1982. Former members interested in attending can contact Jimmy L. Gockel, SSgt, USAF RETIRED, reunion coordinator at 651-5231 or e-mail jimmygockel @yahoo.com.
USS Sperry veterans plan October reunion
Veterans of the USS Sperry are trying to locate shipmates who served on the ship from 1942-1982. A reunion will be held Thursday to Saturday, October 2 to 4 at the Holiday Inn, Marquette, Mich. Contact Wayne Roy, 21 W. Johnson Lake Rd., Gwinn, Mich., 49855, (906) 346-3455 or by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or George Gallas, 116 S. Higby St., Jackson, Mich. 49203, (517) 784-7810 or by e-mail: george-carole@ modempool.com
-- From staff reports