- Cape student sues, accuses school officials of slamming her to ground multiple times (04/28/16)46
- Bob Evans restaurant in Cape Girardeau among chain's 21 closings (04/26/16)9
- Missouri House votes to allow concealed weapons without permits (04/28/16)8
- Police report filed, but no charges in incident at Cape Central (04/29/16)40
- Two hurt in motorcycle wreck on Interstate 55 (04/25/16)1
- Senator introduces bill for I-57 that would connect Sikeston with Little Rock (04/28/16)4
- Law firm requests information about Cape's traffic cameras (04/25/16)2
- Local lawmakers split over failed medical marijuana bill; voters may have a say (04/26/16)19
- Local company makes eco-friendly kitty litter that cuts cat-box smell (04/25/16)
- Man accused of pointing BB gun at Chaffee resident (04/26/16)2
Oran wins, advances to Class 1 quarterfinal
WARDELL, Mo. -- Oran fought gusting winds and slipped past North Pemiscot 3-2 in eight innings in a Class 1 sectional baseball game Wednesday.
Oran, the top-ranked team in Class 1, improved to 20-2. The Eagles will face Ellington (15-5) in a quarterfinal Friday at Oran.
Before Oran could worry about who its quarterfinal opponent would be, they had to survive a scare from unranked North Pemiscot (13-8). Despite opening the game with a run in the first, Oran's hitters, who smashed the school's home run record this season, were frustrated by strong winds blowing several deep flies back into the ball park.
The Eagles were cruising with a 2-0 lead until a costly error and a bloop single put the score at 2-2 going into the seventh inning. Oran starter Trey Graviett, who allowed only three hits in six innings, gave way to Ryne Wood with no outs and runners on first and second in the top of the seventh.
After coming up empty in the bottom of the seventh, Garrett Roslen started out the bottom of the eighth with a leadoff double for Oran. North Pemiscot tried to retire Roslen at third after the next batter laid down a bunt, but both runners reached safely. With the bases loaded and one out, Graviett ended the game with an RBI single.
Wood picked up the win for Oran after going two hitless innings. Graviett was the offensive leader and was 2-for-3 with two RBIs. B.J. Flippo pitched 7 1/3 innings and picked up the loss for North Pemiscot.